Sunday, October 21, 2007

Putting the noose around one's own neck

"I really hope people will come forward... Otherwise, we may conclude there is no case..."

— Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz (The Star - 19 October)


A couple of weeks ago, the emergence of a video clip caused something of a stir throughout the nation. The video clip featured a senior lawyer allegedly brokering the appointment of judges. A three-man panel was subsequently set up by the Government to investigate the authenticity of the video clip. Anyone with information on the video is urged to come forward to assist with the investigation. One has to wonder whether the priority is to investigate the whistle-blower, or those person(s) implicated in the video.

I don't have any information about that famous video clip, but I am not sure what would I have done if I knew anything about it.

Of course in the spirit of "performing one's duty to the country" the "right" thing to do would be to come forward with the information — whatever it is. And then if indeed there was any truth at all in the video clip, hopefully the guilty party would receive the deserved punishment. Then I would get a pat on my back; become famous and occupy the front pages of all local papers for some weeks. I might even end up being conferred with a datukship. That is one possible outcome.

The other possible outcome is that I will be thrown into prison indefinitely where I will be interrogated, blind-folded, stripped naked and then physically assaulted. If I am able to survive all those, maybe there is hope that I will somehow find freedom again some day. And then if I am lucky, I can commence legal actions against my perpetrators and awarded a miserable damages of RM1. Of course if I am really lucky, I may also end up with RM2.5 million (The Star - 19 October). But don't bet on getting that RM2.5 million, because in all likelihood, that was a one-off mistake that won't be repeated again.

Did you find it strange that no one has come forward with information on the video clip?

No comments: