Friday, October 19, 2007

Getting the nod

"I asked whether he wanted to celebrate his birthday at the top of the mountain and he nodded happily, so I am helping to make his wish come true."

— Mohd Noor Mat Amin, seasoned mountaineer.


From my early childhood I have always been striving to achieve something that others can't. I am essentially a perfectionist in many ways, even though I am aware that no one is perfect. In some areas, I have more or less achieved what I set out to do, but in others I'm still pursuing my dreams. Whenever I see others striving hard to achieve greatness, I am filled with joy and admiration.

Sabah, being my home State, I happen to have conquered Mount Kinabalu before. From the age of 17 up to about 6 years ago, I've been up there 11 times. So I know quite a bit about mountain-climbing; and in particular, I know about Mount Kinabalu. For the benefits of the readers who've not been up Mount Kinabalu before, please allow me to give a brief idea of what it is like up there.

Mount Kinabalu stands at 4,095 metres at its highest point known as Low's Peak. Climbers register at the Kinabalu Park (1,563 metres), pay for the fees and relevant insurance, guide and transportation to Timpohon Gate (1,800 metres). Thereafter, climbers will start climbing up to Laban Rata (3,300 metres), a hike that normally takes around 4 to 6 hours. Laban Rata accommodates rooms, a restaurant and common bathrooms with hot shower. Climbers can then get some rest.

At around 2:30am the next morning, climbers awake and prepare for the summit climb. At around 3:00am, the climbers begin their ascent in the dark with flashlights. The temperature is almost freezing point and winter clothings are required. If everything goes well — and assuming that the climber had not collapsed due to altitude sickness — it is normally possible to reach the peak just as the sun rises. There is nothing but rocks up there.

Then the climbers will have to beat the time to descend before the fog sets in. Too many people who underestimated the fog have lost their way on the barren rock and eventually died in the cold long before help arrived. Even well-trained soldiers have lost their way up there.

Some very, very fit people don't find Mount Kinabalu very challenging. But take it from me — many ordinary people who do nothing but push pencils in the office will find it tough. It is quite a challenge!

Mohd Noor Mat Amin asked the above question to his son, and apparently received an affirmative response. Ordinarily, I would be happy to see others striving to achieve big things. But here we are talking about a 3-year-old boy (The Star). What does he know about the harsh conditions in the mountain?

Someone please do something about the Malaysia Book of Records. Sooner or later, there will come a time when we must draw a line between pushing our limits and recognising madness!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried climbing Mt Kinabalu some 10 years ago and it was a struggle no doubt. In fact I didn't even plan to climb it at first. What happened was I was in KK just tagging someone who was there for work. After one whole day wondering in KK all alone I got bored so I asked the hotel what else is there to do in KK. They suggested Mt Kinabalu. That night I had to buy everything new for the climb, new shoes, new jackets, new bag, a few chocolates etc.

Next morning I took one of those van cum bus. The first thing I notice was the plastic bags that they put at the back of the sits for people to vomit into! I can't remember how many now but I must have used quite few of those bags.

I took a total of 8 over hours to get to the Laban Rata! Within the first hour i had finished all my chocolates. I stop at every single rest area they had and sleep for a few minutes. After a few hours, every single step was painful. The worst thing is you see the local ladies walking pass you carrying the 15kg cooking gas on their shoulder as if they are walking in the park. I remember the last 100meters to the rest house up the there, I was literally sleeping while walking. I could even see the rest house but just could not move anymore, so I slept there on the rocks for a very long time. When I woke up it was already evening, check into the rest house, took some maggie mee and crash into bed. Even now, I have no memory of the rest place.

and yes at 2am my guide woke me up. I was in severe pain. I will always remember what my guide told me. He said the mountain will always be there, don't do it if I can't this time around. He said it is even worst if I go up and can't come down. I applied lots YOKO YOKO and still I can't move my legs and after an hour of trying, he advise me not to do it. I was in tears. That was the end of my journey. In the morning, I started to walk down the mountain. I arrived at the base some 5/6 hours later. So now I have a certificate with the actual height of the mountain cancel and replace with the height of Laban Rata. :-(

Cornelius said...

delurk,

Mt Kinabalu is not something you'd want to do without at least some preparations. As I said, it is quite a challenge to many people.

But yes, the mountain is always there; which means you can always come back for another try. Of course there is that problem of the task getting tougher as you get older!

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should organise a trip up sometime in March next year. A small group of friends and friends of friends.That would give us a few months to get fit. A few of RR might want to join in.

Cornelius said...

Good idea, delurk. Only trouble is that I've omitted to tell you that I didn't make it to the summit during the last 3 trips up the mountain.

For some strange reasons, I developed terrible altitude sickness up there. I never had such problems when I was younger. That's why I said as you age, it becomes tougher.

The last (11th) time I was up there, I felt like I almost died. It's not that I ran out of stamina. But when you develop altitude sickness, you feel as if your brain turns into jelly. You vomit all the way, and THAT drains your energy big time!

If ever I go up there again, I doubt that I can go beyond Laban Rata. In fact, the doctor advised me NOT to do it anymore. And I don't even know what to do with the many certificates showing the achievement of Low's Peak. That's why my last was 6 years ago.

My wife -- she is also a fitness freak -- goes mountain climbing almost on a yearly basis. But in this particular sport I've long given up! Been there, done that!

Anonymous said...

Definitely agree with some of your comments. Made up to Low's Peak twice, once when I was still in my teens and the second time about four years ago. The second attempt, I was literally on my knees crawling up the final stretch, struggling behind my partner who was a good 100m ahead. Contemplated pulling out, but didn't wan't to spoil her fun, being her first ascend.

Some sports are meant for the young and healthy. For those older folks but still healthy, we stick to treasure hunting.

Which gives me this idea of Cornelius organizing Blogger Hunt Part 3 in KK (I hear Blogger Hunt Part 2 is already in the works). Gives me an incentive to join this "trip to KK". Then Delurk can make a second attempt, while I go off hunting for food (Loved the yummy paus in KK and do not mind returning for more).

Cornelius said...

Woohoo! I'm not gonna be able to shake off the treasure hunt trademark, huh?... hehehe

It is strange that you're suggesting a possible Blogger Hunt 3 here in KK.

We might have another Sutera Harbour-Angkatan Hebat Hunt again between March and April next year. But I might want to decline clerking it. I was told that they're gonna throw in a 4WD for perfect score on top of the prize money! I'm not saying that I can achieve that perfect score, but can you blame me for wanting to try?

BTW, when's the Blogger Hunt 2? Might be interesting to give it another try after such a disastrous outing the last time!

Anonymous said...

From past events, there were occassions when the promised cars were not given away to the deserving winner. Either there are stipulations like what you mentioned (winner needs perfect score) or the event was rigged to create a winner.

I have stopped jumping for joy on hearing a car being announced as a top prize for a treasure hunt.

Regarding Blogger Hunt 2, you have to ask the horse. I am not quite so sure myself - won't be doing it this time around!