Monday, July 27, 2009

PCAKK Treasure Hunt—Above & Below

I have said that Team Kena Tembak did a commendable job in setting the questions. And I only found very minor objections in some of the questions. For example,

Q) KUPU-KUPU BERTUKAR TANDA DI SINI.

A) BUTTERFLY TRADE MARK

Where I prefer the word TUKAR instead of BERTUKAR. The "BER" is something like the extension "ING" in English. For example, JALAN = WALK; BERJALAN = WALKING. So TUKAR = TRADE; and BERTUKAR = TRADING.

and,

Q) AKHIRNYA TERDENGAR SEBUTAN KOSONG.

A) EMTY @ Scale #6 of water tank

Where I think there is no need to include 2 homophone indicators in a single clue. Either TERDENGAR or SEBUTAN could be dropped and the question is still sound.

However, in my opinion, Team Kena Tembak did very well in the following question:

Q) LESS THAN ABOVE, ANSWER BELOW.

A) COMMA

A brilliant "bolded" question and deserves an A+ by my standard! I think this particular question stood out from the rest in this entire hunt, and I would have been proud to have conjured up this question myself.

During the answer presentation, when Alvin explained the answer, I was very impressed. But then I also felt sad. For right there, seated at the same table with us, were the team members of Hunters R Us. I felt there and then that had Vincent Woo been there with us, he would have loved this question too, because he came up with something very similar in the Bloggers' Hunt.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's the explanation for "COMMA"?

Cornelius said...

In a way, it is a general knowledge question. And in my opinion, it is common enough to the extent that even though the CoC did not hint what he's referring to, the clue is still fair!

Look for the "less than" (<) key on your computer keyboard. And I am sure you will automatically know the explanation for the answer.