Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Penang Bridge International Marathon

At about 2am on Sunday, I was awaken by my alarm clock. I dragged myself out of bed to prepare for the Penang Bridge International Marathon. Mia and JJ were still fast asleep when I went down to the lobby of the Bayview Hotel in Georgetown at about 2:50am. I found a comfortable chair and a small desk where I spent the next few minutes doing the cryptic crosswords. Then I received a call from my friend, KK Chai, who’s also running together with me. He, too, arrived from KL the day before.

This year, the so-call half marathon in the Penang Bridge International Marathon wasn’t a half marathon at all. Instead of 21.1km, marathoners had to start from the foreground of the Queesbay Mall, and therefore added to the distance by 4km, thus resulting in a total of 25km. I was given to understand that the participants of this event have been growing steadily over the years, and it was becoming increasingly congested at the start of the bridge. Therefore, the organizers decided to start the race several kilometres before arriving at the bridge so that the runners would have been segregated by then.

All roads leading to the Queensbay Mall were closed during the event. Chai had to park his car almost a kilometre away and we had to walk to the starting point. By the time we arrived there, it was about 4am. Then I got into a very long queue for a toilet visit. It was finally my turn at around 4:25am, but while I was still in the toilet, I heard the start gun and the runners were cheering and making a lot of noises. I rushed out of the toilet, and true enough, the runners were already off.

I ran the 50 metres or so to join the crowd, but could not really run my usual pace due to the congestion. And then I saw Chai in front of me. The pace was still very slow, but I just followed the flow behind Chai. Then about 2km into the run, Chai suddenly made a detour to the side of the road, and I knew what he was doing. I suppose that was much simpler than getting into that long queue for the toilet.

I continued running and that was the last time I saw Chai until after I passed the finish line. The first few kilometres of the run was surprisingly pleasant. I did not feel any exhaustion, but perhaps that was because of the cool air of the morning. Soon, we were approaching the start of the famous Penang Bridge—it was a gradual climb along a long curve. Then a short distance of level surface. And then we came to an extremely long—albeit gradual—climb towards the tower somewhere in the middle of the bridge. That few kilometres were really tiring, and I entertained the idea of stopping quite a few times.

Well, I endured that long gradual climb somehow, and when I reached the highest point at the tower, it was such a relief. I made a quick stop to grab 2 cups of water before enjoying the down-going journey towards the mainland. Little did I know that that highest point of the bridge was not exactly in the middle—it was closer to Penang. I ran and ran along that seemingly unending stretch until I could finally see the many toll booths at the other side of the bridge. But seeing is one thing; actually reaching it is quite another thing!

I kept running and finally reached the end of the bridge where another water station was located. A small Indian boy who’s a volunteer at the water station was shouting encouragement lines like “c’mon, you can make it” and “good job, you are doing great!”. At that point, I could use some encouragements, but the boy went on to say, “don’t stop—keep going!”. And I had to suppress the crazy inclination to shout back, “that’s easy for you to say; you are not running!”.

After having a drink, we had to make a big turn, going down hill to the left. It was still dark and I saw several guys stopping at the roadside to relieve themselves. So I took the opportunity to do the same. Oh! it is so nice being a man (smile).

As I said, it was a big turn which saw runners making a big loop under the bridge to the other lane; then going uphill again for the return leg. At that point, I received a wristband from a marshal (I was also given one at the starting line).

The return leg was even more punishing—the climb towards the bridge tower was anything but fun. And it was a much longer climb from the other side. I must have been running close to 15km by then, and I could feel the exhaustion in my legs; my right ankle was already aching quite badly.

I was having a drink at the bridge tower when some of the strong women runners ran by towards the finish line. Amongst them was a familiar face which I remember seeing during the Borneo International Marathon a little over a month ago. I just wonder if these Kenyans do anything else other than running.

After that highest point of the Penang Bridge, it was a gradual down-going stretch, but it was still a struggle because I was really tired by then. I kept running…

I ran and ran until I finally reached the end of the bridge. And then as if I have suddenly reached my limits, my legs began to fail me. I simply had to stop running and reduce my pace to a walk. I tried to focus to keep running, but my legs just refused to cooperate. That last few kilometres were so punishing that I had to walk several times. Then I suddenly thought of Chai again. I looked back, but he was nowhere to be seen.

I was still hating myself for doing this run when I suddenly saw the signboard “500 METRES TO GO!”. I looked up and true enough, the Queensbay Mall was within my sight. I started running again. Then I came to another signboard—”400 METRES TO GO!”, then down to 300 METRES; then 200 METRES; then 100 METRES. A final corner and then I saw the finish line. I don’t know where I found the energy, but I actually ran throughout that last 500 metres like I just started my run. I ran across the finish line at a surprising pace like a champion, but immediately after crossing the finish line, I stopped suddenly in total exhaustion.

Another small Indian boy was there to collect the hard-earned wristbands from me, and gave me the certificate and medal in return. The allocated time for this run was originally set at 3:00, but later on it was adjusted to 3.30. I completed the run in 2:45.

I grabbed several cups of 100PLUS at a nearby station. Then I went back to the finish line to wait for Chai. We have arranged to wait for each other at the finish line, you see. 5 minutes elapsed; then 10 minutes; 15 minutes… Chai was still nowhere to be seen. Then 20 minutes, 25 minutes—I was beginning to wonder what has happened to him when I finally saw him make that last corner heading for the finish line with a time of 3:15.

A really exhausting run—the first time, ever, I covered a distance of 25 km. It's just amazing that I could actually make my legs work for that long! I just hope that the terrains won’t be as punishing in Singapore. Otherwise there is just no way I can break the 2-hour barrier for the 21km!

Singapore, here I come!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

This year's medal is more vulgar in size as compared with last year's medal and lack in quality too. Last year we had a 3-D surface carved out of pewter while this year's is just plain stainless steel with a colourful etching. I have done four bridge runs now and this year's the toughest. I agree with you that the last couple of km is especially punishing. You are still young, have another go at it next year and I'm you sure you can do better. For me, another attempt next year would be A Bridge Too Far!

Cornelius said...

Yes, my friend, I noticed the exceptionally huge medal. I wonder who came up with that size!

Of the 3 medals I've got so far, I still like the Borneo International Marathon's medal the best. And I'm not being sentimental because it's a KK event. It is small in size, but, in my opinion, well-designed and of classical round shape.

Then the Mizuno Wave medal comes second because of its unique shape. Both the BIM and Mizuno medals are of high quality, pewter type metal.

The Penang Bridge medal is, as you say, lacking in quality.

I'm not too sure that I can do better next year. In fact, I am still too fresh from the torture that I'm not even thinking about another Penang Bridge run right now (smile). Who knows I might even consider running in foreign marathons for variety sake. Besides, I'm not really impressed with how they organized the Penang Bidge Marathon. I was fairly surprised by the use of wristbands system.

So far, the Borneo International Marathon is still the best one organized. They used the timing chip system very successfully; and the entire marathon was very well-organized.

The Mizuno Wave was also OK, but they obviously screwed up with the timing chip. And of course that ridiculous "traffic jam" at the finish line was just too awful. Besides, they have not been able to publish the results up to now, so I suspect that they haven't sorted out the problem with the timing chips.

Right now I am really looking forward to the Singapore Marathon. So many people have told me of that marathon as being one of the best organized in this region.

Anonymous said...

I must also comment on this idea of supplying water in 5-litre bottle for runners, the first I have ever encountered in Malaysia or any part in the world for that matter. It's too heavy to cart away and too unhygienic to share with others. It's so brainless of the sponsor (not that we are not grateful) for such big bottles and the organiser for not having the sense to pour them out in cups for the runners. Check out this funny video here http://runwitme.blogspot.com/and see what I mean.

Anonymous said...

Clap clap clap.....Congrats, after reading your post I realy feel like running again. Wow, BIM, Mizuno, Penang and Singapore....in just 4 mths, amazing lah fren.

Wow, i just saw the video clip from runwitme...haha drinking fr a 5 litres bottle really looked rediculious especially when u hav to share w others....I agree, BIM 08 was todate the most well organised marathon. So, i guess i will be seeing u in the 42km BIM 09 next year.

Cornelius said...

teo,

I am fast burning out with this running thing. I told my friend, KK Chai, that I will take a rest after Singapore. Perhaps 6 - 8 runs maximum per year would be good enough.

And there is also another thing I told Chai immediately after the run last Sunday. I said I doubt that I have it in me to do the full marathon. Even running that 25km was extremely tough! But whether I run the full or half marathon, I will surely support the BIM next year.

That story about drinking from the 5-litre bottle was ridiculous. When I reached that station, I saw people practically fighting for those big bottles. So I decided not to drink.

But when I reached the next station, what they did was even more ridiculous. They poured out the water into a huge pail, and then everyone was free to use their cups to scoop the water from the pail. I spent a few seconds debating with myself whether I wanted to drink or not. But in the end, I had to force myself to drink. Otherwise I would have died of thirst!... HAHAHA.

Oh! I forgot to mention that a young chap actually fainted on the bridge. So I'd advise those who want to try this run to at least train for a while before the run.

blaze said...

Cornelius, congrats for finishing your first ever 25km, Penang Bridge Run.

I can imagine that it was a tough run with all the climbing with a painful ankle. Finishing in 2:45 is an achievement itself.

Perhaps you will go for the full marathon one day.

There will be a Great Eastern 30km run organised by Pacesetters in Jan 09. The route is an extension of the Mizuno 10km route. I will probably join the 20km Open category. Hope to see you there and good luck to you in your future runs!

Cornelius said...

blaze,

Thanks for your kind words and encouragements. I'll be running in Singapore on the 7th Dec.

At first, I was thinking of doing the GE30 in January too. But I think I better rest my ankle. Otherwise I will be out of action for even longer!... and that won't be good for sure!

I'll probably do more shorter runs next year; perhaps 10km-12km, and 2 or 3 half marathons at most if I can find the time and energy. Hopefully, if my body cooperates, I want to attempt the full marathon in the BIM2 in October next year. However, I don't want to decide so soon. I want to take my time, because once I decide, I will work very hard for it. I don't do alang-alang business! If I can't give 100% commitment, then I better just be satisfied with the half marathon.

Anonymous said...

If you had been wondering what happened to that record-breaking French, I think he went "full" in the veteran category winning the race and his time(2:40:06)had beaten the third place winner in the men open. I say WOW!

Desktop Printed Biggersigns.com said...

I think that a cool wristband is a the Pace Wristband where you can order a wristband with your times pre-printed, so you can track your pace. See www dot wristbandfactory dot com forward slash sportsathleticswristbands dot html

Cornelius said...

Wow! Amazing run! I think the French guy will very quickly become a famous man in this part of the world... not that he isn't already so! Perhaps he's also becoming such a nuisance to the Kenyans, huh? I have a feeling that we will see him again in Singapore.

Shan said...

Hi Corn congrats on your latest achievement. You are clearly going from strength to strength.

And we're looking forward to welcoming you back to BIM2 as a Full Marathoner perhaps? :)Hehe.

Seriously though, all the best of luck for Singapore. I hear that is a superb marathon.

Cornelius said...

Shan,

Thanks for your kind words, though I'm not so sure about "clearly going from strength to strength".

If I can survive all the runnings up to October 2009, then you can count me in for the BIM2 for sure. But I don't dare to commit whether it's gonna be half or full marathon at this stage. I'm thinking the full marathon seems horrifyingly far-fetched right now! Besides, I don't want to scare the Kenyans off!

As for Singapore, I am really looking forward to it. So many people have good things to say about the Singapore Marathon. I just hope it won't be another hot run.

LIFE IS GREAT said...

Hi Cornelius..sure you can do a sub2hours in singapore since you have few half marathon run b4.All the best to you!I am running 21km in the same race(SCSM)but my timing won't be as good as yours.Hope to meet you in Singapore..cheers!!

Cornelius said...

Hello LIFE IS GREAT,

Thanks for your faith in my running ability. Actually, I have only started running seriously a few months ago; and the Borneo International Marathon (BIM) on 12th October was my very first 21km.

After that I went for the 10k of Mizuno Wave at Padang Merbok, got the medal in the end, but was not really impressed with how they organized it.

And then Penang Bridge was my very first 25km ever. Singapore's 21km run will be my next one, after which I will take a rest to allow my ankle to recover fully. Then perhaps I will join running events again in March or April leading up to a possible 42km in the BIM2 in October 2009.