Friday, November 14, 2008

First Anniversay Virtual Hunt—Briefing Notes

Well, folks, we are fast approaching the second half of November. I promised to organize a short virtual hunt here in this blog. I’m posting this so that those of you who’re keen to participate are aware of some basic information about this hunt!

DATES

First, let’s deal with the dates. I plan to start the virtual hunt on 20 November (Thursday). The hunt proper will continue for a period of 8 days.

PICTURES

Answers to the hunt questions are found within the pictures which shall be posted in the evening of 19 November (Wednesday), i.e a day before the hunt begins. A word about the pictures—they are of high resolution in the jpg format. I took them at a resolution of 10 megapixel; but I have resized them a bit. On average the size of the pictures is about 1.3MB to 1.4MB each. So older PCs may have a bit of trouble viewing them. Some of you who’re still using dial-up modems may have to endure a longer period to download those pictures. That’s why I thought it would help if I post those pictures a day before the hunt begins. That way, you can easily save those pictures to your hard disks wherefrom you can conveniently retrieve them later.

QUESTIONS

I have mentioned earlier that I will be giving a relatively easier set of questions this time in the hope that more new and average hunters might be encouraged to participate. However, unlike what I did last December, you will not be able to take your sweet time in this hunt (if you want to win). Scores are based on how quickly you post your answers, and therefore it pays to be the fastest to submit the correct answers.

SCORES

Points are awarded for correct submissions in this order:

1st submission: 10 points
2nd submission: 8 points
3rd submission: 6 points
4th submission: 4 points
5th submission: 2 points
All others: 1 points

Of course no points will be awarded for wrong answers. In the event of a tie at the end of the hunt, the tie breaker shall be based on questions countdown, which means the person scoring higher for the first question (Q1) will win. If both get 1 point each for the Q1, then the tie breaker will move to Q2 and so on and so forth.

DIFFICULTY LEVELS

There will be only 7 questions for this hunt, and about half of them are quite easy—there is a real chance that the new hunters can do well against the masters. As for the tougher questions, it is difficult to speculate because I feel that I have done enough to ensure that they’re achievable by hunters of all levels, except of course for the time factor. The questions will be posted in no particular order of difficulty; and answers are found in the pictures, again in no particular order, i.e. they can be found in any one of those pictures.

POSTING OF QUESTIONS

The questions will be posted one at a time at 10:00pm everyday beginning from 20 November 2008. The competition will therefore take approximately a week. However, after the last question is posted, I will allow 2 days before closing the hunt. Answers submitted after that will no longer be accepted.

ATTEMPTS

Each participant will only be allowed to submit ONE answer per question, and no subsequent attempts will be entertained. Therefore, although it is a race against other hunters, please check carefully before submitting your answers, because answers, once submitted, shall be final.

SUBMISSIONS

Submission of answers shall be by means of email to:

ckoh1965@yahoo.com

When submitting the first answer, participants shall include their full names as shown on their NRICs. Upon receiving your submission, I will reply with an acknowledgement of receipt. If the submission is made beyond my bedtime (some of you never seem to sleep) then I shall acknowledge receipt as soon as I can access my mailbox on the following day. I shall not give further comments on your submissions. Subsequent answers shall continue to use that original email (sent back and forth) for the purpose of easy tracking. If you are stuck with any question (s), there is no necessity to answer them before the next one is published. You may submit your answers for those earlier questions later, but of course you should realise that other hunters might have beaten you to it! For the purpose of this hunt, solvers are not required to include the explanations to their answers.

COMMENT MODERATION

While the hunt is in progress for about a week, I will enable comment moderation in this blog. It means that my readers can comment as usual, but I will control whether or not those comments will appear in this blog. This is to prevent the possibility of some of you who are overly excited and may accidentally post your answers here.

PRIZE

I don’t have any vouchers to give away; so I am allocating RM100.00 cash for the champion instead. This is not intended to be the main attraction of this hunt; rather, it is symbolic and perhaps for personal satisfaction only.

I had originally intended to charge a small entry fee, of which the money so collected could be used for the top 3 prizes as opposed to only one prize for the champion. However, I abandoned the idea because I had a feeling it would have been too troublesome to deal with the small entry fee. Perhaps I can look further into this idea when and if I do another virtual hunt. Hopefully I would have come up with a proper system for the entry fee by then.

ANSWERS & EXPLANATIONS

I will publish the answers and explanations to all the questions after the official closing date.

DISCLAIMER

I cannot accept any responsibility for emails sent, but do not arrive at my email box for whatever reason. In all disputes relating to this competition, my decision shall be final.

1 comment:

Cornelius said...

I have received a email from a friend. He said high resolution photos may be difficult to view through this blog. He gave examples as those found on Kenny Sia's blog. I checked out that blog, and true enough, some of those photos just won't load properly on my monitor.

I discussed this potential problem with a friend of mine, and he suggested that I post each photo in an independent frame. He reckons that the photo will then load much faster.

So that's exactly what I am gonna do later today. Luckily, there will be only 4 photos involved in this hunt. Initially, I thought of including several more (those extra photos were intended to be the decoys, of course), but I've changed my mind and just keep things simple.

If posting each photo in a fresh frame does not work, I will try to think of something else.