Monday, September 1, 2008

Borneo Marathon—Surviving Sixth Week

The 6th week of training is the last week of August. After this, I have roughly 5/6 weeks to go before the Borneo International Marathon on 12 October. Although my training is progressing well, I haven't actually achieved 21 km in a single run up to now. If all goes well, I should be getting there in 2 weeks' time.

I have made a slight change in my training programme. Instead of running 4 days in a week, I have, beginning from this week, reduced it to 3 times a week. The reason I did that was because so that I can work on my mileage. If I were to slot in another running day, I wouldn't have enough time to recover for the longer runs. So with only 3 runs per week, I will cover at least 10 km per run. Apart from the slight change, this 6th week was also special to me because it was the first time I did my long run at the jogging track instead of on the treadmill. The last longest outdoor run I've done was only about 10km.

Before going for my long weekend run, I received an advice from an experienced runner. Amongst other, he told me that protruding nipples may be subject to chafing during long runs. That was the second time he told me that. The first time he told me, I found that somewhat amusing and did not really heed his advice. I mean, how could something that small and insignificant be injured? That was until I had a terrible blister on my left nipple! And having blisters on the nipples is not very funny you know. So this time, armed with my newfound knowledge—learned the hard way—I had both nipples plastered before the run!

I had intended all along to do the long run during the marathon clinic on Saturday afternoon. But of course the weather hardly ever agree with outdoor plans in the afternoon. Unfortunately, YFitness was also closed over the holidays, so I was unable to fall back on the treadmill.

I did not want to miss on my long run (long runs are very important elements of marathon training), so I had no choice but to wake up at 5 am yesterday (Sunday) and make that run at the jogging track. Just for the record, I am not really a morning guy. It's the first time I woke up that early for the purpose of running. But, you know, when I do something I'd like to do it well. Otherwise I'd rather not do it at all.

When I left the house, Mia and JJ were still sleeping. Just before I left the house, I whispered to Mia that I'd be home at around 8 am. She mumbled something to me, but I couldn't really understand her. I went closer to her and was able to hear; she said, "Try not to get raped." I told her not to worry, we're very far from Permatang Pauh.

I was surprised to see quite a number of people at the jogging track. It was still quite dark when I started running at around 6 am. A bit of stretching, warming up and setting my stopwatch. The air was cold; the weather was perfect. I started running...

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The cold morning helped to delay the onset of my body's "overheating". I ran at a slow easy pace for the first 5 km. By then there was already daylight. Suddenly I realised that Dr Liaw was also running. When we were running side-by-side, he said he's running the full marathon for the first time, and I was a bit shy to say that I was only training for the half marathon. He's quite a strong runner; oh how nice to be young!

After running 6 km, I stopped for a few gulps of 100Plus. And then quickly continued with the run. Then another stop after the 12th km. I felt strong and picked up the pace for the remaining 3 km to finish 15 km within 1 hour 27 minutes 20 seconds. Now I only need to figure out how to maintain that average pace for the remaining 6 km to complete the 21 km run.

Compared to the last time I did 15 km on the treadmill, I took about 12 minutes faster to run that distance this time. But I think the improved time was mainly due to the extra one day rest I had for this latest run.

Another new week ahead with a scheduled 18 km run on Saturday followed by that dreadful 21 km the following week. By now I am confident that I will certainly be able to finish that distance. The only question now is the speed at which I can complete it. My realistic goal is 2 hours 15 minutes; but my ambitious goal is under 2 hours. I hope I can report better achievements in the following weeks. But on the other hand, right now the time achieved during the training is for rough guide only. Before the actual marathon I should have rested my legs sufficiently.

In the mean time, I have also signed up for the Penang Bridge International Marathon scheduled for 16 November 2008. That will be an even bigger challenge since the distance is about 25 km. Furthermore I was told that there will be a gradual slope at the start of the bridge. I am also entertaining the idea of running the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon (7 December 2008), of which Mia will be joining me for the half marathon; and the Great Eastern—Pacesetters 30 km (18 January 2009). My friend who introduced me to these runs has a nice way of putting it—they give the opportunities to go for short holidays in interesting places!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to learn that you finally managed to do a long morning run, though seems not by choice. How does that feel? A lot of difference from running in the evening, isn't it? One thing though, you don't really need to wake at 5am, 6.00 am would be fine and start your run by 7am would be ideal. My money is on you finish your first 1/2 marathon in under 2 hrs, and I dare say it would be around 1h50m. Prove me right !

Cornelius said...

Yes, my friend, it was certainly a different experience running in the morning. Perhaps the major difference was the cold atmosphere which was good for me. But I'm still not favourable to the waking up early. I started running at 6 am due to the fear of the morning sun. In KK the sun is already up and the heat building up by 8 am. So I tried to finish my run before then.

Thanks for your confidence in me. I would be happy if I can achieve the 2hr15m, but of course I am also trying very hard to complete the run in under 2hrs. But I think 1hr50m is pushing it a tad too far. It is too easy to forget that this is my very first half marathon!

Anonymous said...

Hi Corny...first it was the treasure hunts and now the Runs. Good for you, sooner or later I hope u r in for the X Games!!

Ironically, my training seems to be very very relaxing....I hardly run more than average 20K per week since July....but i do other sports like swimmings, badminton, tennis, golf, gym, bowling, travelling, window shopping oooppss....i guess walking around malls & carrying lugages can be considered as exercising rite?? haha....wow 2hrs 21K would b damn good for a beginner. My target is still the same, 6hrs 59mins for 42KM...i would be happy if i can walk out without futher hurting both my injured knees!! The run is near...keep up the good work!!

Cornelius said...

Hi teo,

Just in case you have forgotten, I haven't actually achieved that 21km/2hrs yet!... hehehe. That's just an ambition for now.

I'm getting a bit worried that my back isn't getting any better. I injured my back when I had a nasty fall during a badminton game many years ago. Since then the pain has been coming back every now and then when I overwork my body. That is also one of the reasons why I'm cutting down to 3 running days per week. Hopefully it will not worsen before the marathon.

20km per week doesn't sound like enough for a 42km run, my friend. You really need to do something to add to the mileage! Swimming and tennis don't really help. I know you've got an asset, i.e. youth, but your body will still suffer the trauma for the sudden workload!

As for me, I will probably concentrate on 21 km for now. Perhaps if my body can handle say 10 half marathons, then I will start to consider the 42km. Maybe I should seek advice from Anwar Ibrahim. Who knows, maybe his doctor can help me with my back problem.