Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Borneo Marathon—Rain Drops Keep Falling On My Head

Last Sunday, I did my long run at the Likas jogging track. Then Monday was my rest day. Yesterday, my legs were still aching, but I decided to run at least 5 km. As the day of the marathon draws closer, I try not to compromise on my training.

Unfortunately, yesterday being a public holiday, YFitness was closed. When I signed up for the membership at YFitness, I was told that it would be open even during public holidays. But the business is half dead right now; they're down to only 3 employees for the entire 3 floors. I can't imagine how long it's been since the last time they received their salaries.

Anyway, since YFitness was closed, I had no choice but to do the 5 km at the Likas track. But while I was getting ready to leave for the jogging track, it began to rain. I spent some minutes trying to make up my mind whether to go running or not. In the end, I decided that I had to run. So I went to the track and actually ran in the rain. I'm not sure if that's a very healthy thing to do, but at least I completed that 5 km.

Today I had planned to work on my speed on the treadmill at YFitness. Mia was also eager to resume training again. She's been away to Genting for a short holiday, so she hasn't been training for a few days. She's only doing the 10 km for the Borneo International Marathon, and she's already completed the 10 km training about 2 weeks ago. I think she peaked too soon. But on the other hand, she'll have to gradually increase her distance because she'll be running the 21 km together with me in Singapore in December.

We rushed home from work; changed into our respective running outfits and then headed for YFitness. Just imagine what we felt when we found that YFitness was closed again today! Does anyone know what is going on? Are they closed for good this time? How very disappointing!

So now I have no choice but to go to sleep very early tonight. I will need to wake up at around 4:45 am tomorrow morning so that I can start running at 5:15 am at the jogging track. I reckon I'll take between 50 minutes to an hour to complete 10 km. So I should be able to finish at around 6:15 am and reach home around 6:30 am to 6:45 am. So I should have just enough time for shower etc and get ready for work. How dreadful! I hope it doesn't rain then, or else I'll have no choice but to postpone my run again. While I want so much to continue with my training, I also don't want to fall sick because of the rain. All this is very bad timing, but the marathon is so close—one way or another, I simply have to keep going.

I really don't know how I'm going to train beyond the Borneo International Marathon; I have at least 2 other half-marathons to run. A friend had also invited me to run as a team in Genting on 2nd November—the kind of run which involves going through jungle, hilly terrains, crossing rivers, muddy paths etc. He told me to put on a pair of shoes which I'm prepared to throw away after the event. Sounds interesting and very tempting, but I really need to consider if I'm up to it. Since it's a team event, I dread the prospect of being the one to lose the event!

At any rate, the last time I checked, theSun Hunt is scheduled on 2nd November. I have more or less confirmed with some friends that I'll hunt with them for theSun. Our "training hunts" would go to waste if I opted out of theSun. We trained and did pretty impressively in the LexisNexis. Another training hunt with them on 18th October. After all the trouble, my friends will kill me if I withdrew from theSun!

Interestingly, there will be another hunt to be held on the 1st November, the day before theSun. I have joined back-to-back hunts in KL before, but I probably will opt out of the Trialblazers' hunt this time. I'll probably concentrate on theSun alone. I don't have much faith in hunts where all the top 10 winners score the same points (for the questions). To me such hunts have not much value even if I won the top prize.

A friend put it nicely, although referring to hunts in general:

"What's the point if top 6 teams have perfect scores and most positions have to be decided by tie-breakers. I view such hunts as disastrous! Not only does it leave many hunters unhappy with the results, it doesn't accord very much recognition of victory to the winners."

But theSun is still some weeks to go. I guess I'll get to see some of you familiar faces in Seremban on the 18th October.

No comments: