Thursday, August 21, 2008

Wrong Focus

I find it strange that most people are inclined to focus on the wrong target, while missing something that is obviously clear.

In an earlier post entitled Scrutinising The Anus, I pointed out that a tear in Saiful's anus does not necessarily mean that he was sodomised. And on the other hand, if there was no tear, it doesn't mean that he wasn't sodomised. But most people have a one-track mind. Their approach is very straightforward. If there is a tear, then he must have been sodomised; and vice versa, period! There is no room for other possibilities.

Now look at this thing about swearing on the Quran. The lad swore on the Quran in his attempt to prove that he's telling the truth. For a while now he's been challenging Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim to do the same. But really, what is the value of "swearing on the Quran"? Well, I am happily immune from such drama; swearing on the holy book does not mean anything to me!

Let me tell you a real story.

There's this guy I know who's been cheating on his wife. Well, to make the long story short, the wife had reasons to suspect that her husband was cheating on her. But she couldn't prove it. The husband said to me, privately, that he would readily admit to me that he had been fooling around. But when it came to his wife, he was willing to swear on the Quran, that he did not cheat on her. His logic was that if he admitted his "mistake" to his wife, then his wife would never ever trust him again. So he'd rather swear on the Quran to preserve his wife's trust. There's plenty of time for taubat, you see.

That was the last time I spoke to him. We haven't been on talking terms since about 17 years ago. This is one thing that I hate about myself, I take a very, very long time to forgive my enemies, if ever. And I also still can't find it in my heart to forgive my grandmother up to now, even though she has long died of cancer. I am not proud of it. But that is a different story.

Anyway, to that man—you know who you are—let me tell you that you are a jerk! Although I don't believe in religions, if indeed there is heaven and hell, I hope you will be punished severely in hell when you die!

As for Saiful and his swearing on the Quran, it doesn't affect me in the least. If tomorrow Anwar, too, swears on the Quran, it shall not affect me as well. The bottom line is, swearing on the Quran does not exonerate anyone. In fact, if anyone finds the need to use the holy book to support his claim, always be wary of his honesty. Swearing on the holy book is not an evidence that can support what is claimed to be the truth.

I shall not allow myself to be influenced by all these mockery of the holy book.

No comments: