Sunday, August 3, 2008

Marathon Clinic

For the first time, I went to the marathon clinic held at the jogging track of the Likas Sports Complex yesterday afternoon. The clinic was scheduled to start at 4:30 pm. But the weather was extremely hot then, so Mia and I purposely arrived late. When we arrived at the track, there were only several of them assembled there. Teo was also there and he showed me his new Adidas running shoes. I had expected Shan to be there too, but perhaps she was still sick.

While waiting for the rest to arrive, we created small talks with each other. I had intended to run 8 km, but Teo said he's doing 10 km. I didn't think I could achieve that distance, but I thought since Teo's doing it, I might as well try to push myself too.

We started with a slow warm-up run around the lap, which was about 1 km. After that we did stretching for some minutes. When it was time to run, it was still very hot. We were supposed to do an average 6-minute lap, but in the first lap we were doing a 5-minute lap instead.

After the first lap, Teo pulled ahead. I tried to keep up with his pace, but he was obviously a stronger runner than this old man! After 2 laps, we began to space out a bit more. Mia was already quite far behind. I could see Teo about 30 metres ahead of me. He didn't make a good pace-setter for me, that's for sure. I would burn out in no time at his pace!

But to my surprise Teo stopped running after 3 laps. When I passed him, I saw him having a drink. How I felt like having a drink too. After that I ran solo for the rest of the workout. By the 5th lap, I was beginning the feel my legs getting tired. By the 7th lap, I wanted so much to stop running; but I pushed on, still keeping up the 6-minute pace. By the 8th lap, every step was a torture. From the corner of my eyes, I saw Mia had already finished her 6 laps.

When I finally completed the 10th lap, it was a big relief. 56 mins 52 seconds. I don't remember ever running that distance in my entire life before. But then I was told that each lap was only equivalent to 950 metres. Which meant that I only did 9.5 km. Had I covered another 500 metres, perhaps I would have taken about an hour. Still below my expectation, so I will need to work extra hard in the coming weeks.

I must thank Teo for pushing me that far. For if it wasn't because of him, I would've only ran 8 laps. I can see the benefit of the marathon clinic now.

But, Teo, if you are reading this, you shouldn't cheat an old man like that. When I said I was running 8 laps, you pushed me to run 10. But in the end, you only did 8 laps yourself. Very funny! What's the big idea?

1 comment:

Shan said...

Hi glad to hear that you had a good training session and got a lot out of it. Yes was still a little under the weather and was trying to catch up on a lot of backlogged work that was piling up when I was on MC.