Sunday, August 17, 2008

Interact Club Of La Salle School—Installation Dinner


The New Board of Directors of the Interact Club of La Salle School (George and I in the centre)

On Friday night, Rotarian George Ngui, his charming wife, Lora, and I attended the Installation Dinner of the Interact Club of La Salle School. I had to beat the heavy after-office traffic home. Then feed Boomer, freshened up and put on my formal attire for the occasion, got into the traffic jam again, and finally reached Promenade Hotel a bit late. But while I was on my way there, I received a call from George, telling me that everyone was already waiting for me.

When I reached the hotel, I met George near the bar. He was watching Chong Wei beating the poor Korean for the silver medal. Apparently the Interactors were still not ready. Our timing was just right, because it was just about the end of the match when we finally got the call from the incoming President, Theresa Muthu.


George had the honour of giving a short speech just before dinner. He explained to the audience that our late arrival was due to a matter of national interest; and he announced that Malaysia had won. Later I complained to him that he might have given the wrong impression that we had won the gold medal!

The dinner was well-organised. Surprisingly there were not so many of those loud noises which the kids call entertainment these days. They had some games, and then followed by what was called "King and Queen of the Night". Three predetermined pairs of boys and girls had to do a slow dance, and George and I were given the honour to choose which ones should be the King and Queen.


Later on, there was a lucky draw. Both George and I were called up to the stage to draw some numbers and give away the prizes. George seemed to enjoy his role very much, but I have a shrewd suspicion that he's unwilling to give away the hamper, as you can see in the above photo.

The show ended with 2 songs by three guitarists from the school. It was still impossible to make out the lyrics of the songs, but I must admit that they weren't as noisy as I thought they would.

Congratulations to President Theresa Muthu and her team. I wish then all the best in their activities throughout the coming year.

No comments: