Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Mensa Hunt 2008—Next Question

This is going to be a short one. It's not really about a major error in the question. Rather, I'd like to share a funny story about how the treasure hunt god was smiling upon us that day.

Q19) MOVIE WHERE PROTAGONIST SEEMED TO KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN.

As you can see, there is absolutely nothing cryptic about this question. It's a pure googling exercise. As most masters will tell you, the usual approach in handling hunt questions is to tackle them before reaching the sector, not after you have reached it.

However, according to the CoC, there was a decoy within this sector, namely a signboard bearing the word DEJAVOU, or something like that. I'm not very sure about the spelling, because to be quite honest, we did not even bother to look further after we have made up our minds on the answer! Besides, the title of the movie by D Washington was spelt DEJAVU, if I'm not wrong.

This was what happened in the car. Upon reading the question, someone was saying, "Oh! what was that movie... was it DEJAVU?".

Claire (turning to me): "Oh! you know that movie starred by Nicholas Cage?"

Me: "Yeah sure... ummm... I think it's entitled NEXT."

Claire: "Ah! yes, that's the one!"

And then just as soon as we got to the sector, we saw NEXT on a signboard.

"OK, there's the NEXT, don't forget to write those small stuff underneath it"

"Wait, wait! What's that... ummm... 3A-6C-PJU S/3 11", OK let's go!"

And we did not even see that decoy, DEJAVOU!

HAR! HAR! HAR!

But really, I don't only know that movie, NEXT, I have actually seen it myself. And in that story, the hero was able to see what's gonna happen next; hence the title NEXT. In that movie, he did not "seemed to know what will happen"; rather, he knew for certain!

Therefore, strictly speaking, the question is technically inaccurate. I think a more accurate way to set the question is to omit the "seemed to", so that it becomes like this:

Q19) MOVIE WHERE PROTAGONIST KNOWS WHAT WILL HAPPEN.

2 comments:

Jimmy Lee said...

Hi,
LoL. First of all, nice knowing you in person Corny. All masters seems very friendly in my opinion. hahahah.....

Oh ya, bout that movie, we got it correct as well. I saw the Dejavou signboard on one of the building on the left side. Then my team member said it's definately the Nicholas Cage movie. Then all said the answer is NEXT and we found the board on the driver side. LoL. I guess my team member all are movie freaks. Any movie you ask them they can know.

Ozzy said...

my teammates and I all have not seen either films, but we've at least read the synopsis of both... we actually wrote down DEJAVOU as the answer... but then I was sceptical as it wasnt spelt right (DEJA VU).. and there were no "sounds like" indicator in the clue... so we looked around again and saw NEXT... a quick visit to Wiki to confirm this, and we were on our way to the next clue!