Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas Charity Hunt 2008—Series

What exactly does the word "series" mean? A quick check from the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary reveals, inter alia:

Several events or things of a similar kind that happen one after the other...

Ages ago, when I was still in highschool, I have also learned about series in maths. But I have since given back all that I've learned to the schools. Thankfully, we need not have an indepth knowledge about the mathematical series for our present discussion.

Q7) CAPITAL CAN BE THE THIRD HOMOPHONE IN THE SERIES.

A7) Butik SEW & SOUL

According to the CoC, the "CAPITAL" refers to SEOUL (South Korea). SEOUL can be the third homophone in the series of SEW SOUL SEOUL...

To be honest, I was defeated by the above question. If it's not for Margaret, this question would have been a goner for our team. I did not see the significance of the pronunciations for SEW and SOUL. But perhaps the main reason I rejected this particular board was because I was looking for a series of some sort.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ... is a series. So is A, B, C, D, E, ...; and DO, RE, MI, ...

Now can we say that 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5 ... is a series? Or A & B & C...?

I have lost my knowledge on "series", so I am not very sure myself.

Is it accurate to say that SEW & SOUL is a series?... or rather the start of a series? I doubt it, but I may be wrong. Perhaps Weng Ngai—if you're reading this—would like to comment? Of course now that the answer has been explained that way, we can simply ignore that "&" as insignificant and only concentrate on the words SEW and SOUL. I can live with that, but still would like to know if there is any difference between "SEW & SOUL" and "SEW, SOUL". Can anybody help?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We selected this answer because the (2nd)homophone for the word "Soul" is Sole. We figured the 3rd in the series could be Seoul, the capital. We totally ignored the word Sew as we could not see what relevance it had to the question.

Cornelius said...

SRD,

My main problem with this solution is whether we can accept "SEW & SOUL" as a series.

Usually, when we talk about a series, we're referring to a flow of things, one after another, within the same classification. In mathematical terms, the comma is usually used to separate those items in the series, and not the "&".

However, if it is technically correct to use the "&" as the separators of the items in a series, then I can accept the answer readily.

In a way this can be considered a general knowledge question. IF we can accept "SEW & SOUL" as the first and second in a homophone series, then we should be able to accept "SEOUL" as the third.

But first we must know what series is the CoC referring to. In this case, he's referring to the homophones, meaning words that sounds like, the 5th musical note, i.e. SOH, which is also known as SOL or just SO. We can say... RE, MI, FA, SOL (or SO or SOH).

Although the word SEW is spelt like that, we pronounce it as "SOU", and that pronunciation sounds like SO or SOH. Therefore it fits in the (5th musical note) series.