Monday, June 22, 2009

Training Course

Most of us who live in the cities require the service of a maid, especially when both husbands and wives are working. I have an Indonesian maid to help with the house chores. Mia and I go off to work first thing in the mornings and come home in the evenings. JJ goes to school in the mornings and then spends her afternoons at her grandparents. She comes home with us in the evenings.

I have never really fixed the duties for my maid. I merely told her to take care of the house the way she would take care of her own house. Sometimes, I'd tell her to do something specific like to wash the windows. Once we leave the house in the mornings, she has the whole house to herself for the whole day. I do not restrict what she eats—in fact she is free to eat the same food that we eat. I was given to understand that not all employers adopt this policy. During lunch, she has the freedom to cook whatever's in the fridge. Whenever we're running low on food, she'd give me a call, and I'd do the grocery shopping before coming home from the office. In the afternoons, she gets her afternoon naps which usually last for about an hour.

Every fortnight she gets her offday. I have offered to let her go each weekend, but she said she prefers to stay in. She said she tends to spend more if she leaves the house. Besides, she prefers the conforts of my home. During the Chinese New Year Celebration, I'd give a bit of Ang-Pow; and each time she completes a year's cycle, I'd give her a small bonus just to show her my appreciation for her loyalty.

According to the Malaysian Association of Foreign Maid Agencies (Papa) president Datuk Raja Zulkepley Dahalan, about 7,000 households in Malaysia are depending on the service of Indonesian maids. [The Star] I think the actual figure is much larger than that as there must be many, many Indonesian maids who have not been legally employed, hence they do not appear in the official records.

Many other countries in this region are also employing maids from Indonesia, and they have been reported cases of abuses in all these countries—including Malaysia. I'm not aware of the exact number of abuse cases in Malaysia. Evidently, we have had some very high profile cases where maids have been subjected to hot irons on the skin, beaten, deprived of food etc. I can only make a wild guess that we probably have very small number—in terms of percentage—of such very serious abuses. Maybe several more milder kinds of abuses; but still when taken as a whole, perhaps still a matter of below 3%. I stand corrected on this estimate, of course.

Yet, now it has been proposed that the over 97% (assuming that this is indeed the correct figure) should attend a training course to qualify to be employers. [The Star]

It is strange how the authority always comes up with new ideas on how to make us spend more money before we become eligible to employ maids. Most of us do not have the time to handle the numerous procedures in applying for the work permits etc. So we usually have to use the service of the employment agents for a fee. The maids are made to undergo a prescribed medical examination, again for a fee. If they are found to be fit for work, we are then required to pay a levy before the work permits could be processed. And now, by this latest proposal, we're supposed to go for a training course, for a "minimal fee". And beyond that, I'm sure they will think of something else for us to pay.

I am not in favour of the proposed training course. Maybe it is designed to make some people rich at the expense of the 7,000 employers, although admittedly, I may be wrong. Just because there are some people—in fact, relatively few of us, who mistreated our maids, the vast majority has to pay the price. But never mind if it's effective. Did the authority really believe that a day's training course can solve the problem of abuse? These are people who're not quite right up there, and no amount of one-day training course can help.

If the proposal for a training course becomes a reality, I suppose I will have no choice but to oblige. I doubt that I will employ local Sabahans as they are known to approve their own leave. I doubt that I will employ Thai women because of the language problem. I doubt that I will ever employ a Filipina because my own experience tells me that they're the most "creative" people—lots of ideas in their heads. So by hook or by crook, my choices are restricted to the Indonesians.

So, yes, I will attend that forsaken one-day training course. And then when that is found to be not so effective against abuse cases, I'm sure the authority will extend it to, say, one week training course so that they can charge a little bit more "minimal fee".


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I will ever employ a Filipina because my own experience tells me that they're the most "creative" people—lots of ideas in their heads"

Haha, I wonder what you mean by this, and why it would keep you from hiring a Filipina.. Some of my female family members are maids in Sabah and happen to be Filipina also..

In the U.S. only the richest have maids. I don't think I could ever have a maid.. But who knows..

I know in Malaysia it is pretty normal fo middle class and up, even people trying to appear middle class.. I guess because the labor is cheap?

I was reading about domestic labor laws in Malaysia, and there really are not any laws protecting foreign maids.. No required days off, no minimum wage, nothing really regulated.. I can definitely see how some people can get away with abusing their maids services..

Screw the training courses, how about creating some laws to protect the workers!

Anonymous said...

"I will never employ a Filipina because my own experience tells me that they're the most "creative" people—lots of ideas in their heads"

Haha, I wonder what you mean by this, and why it would keep you from hiring a Filipina.. Some of my female family members are maids in Sabah and happen to be Filipina also..

In the U.S. only the richest have maids. I don't think I could ever have a maid.. But who knows.. Actually, Filipina maids are the most in demand in America, because most of them are highly educated, and the new fashionable thing is to have a maid with a Masters degree...

I know in Malaysia it is pretty normal for middle class and up, even people trying to appear middle class.. I guess because the labor is cheap?

I was reading about domestic labor laws in Malaysia, and there really are not any laws protecting foreign maids.. No required days off, no minimum wage, nothing really regulated.. I can definitely see how some people can get away with abusing their maids services..

Screw the training courses, how about creating some laws to protect the workers!

Anonymous said...

I Agree with you. Just to share my experience, I have 2 maids under my name. I treat them as what you treat yours. One is for my family and one for taking care of mother. Not because I'm rich but I've to. I have to pay extra RM 200 for work permit for for my second "name" maid. My mother maid run away and I have to pay fine RM250. I request for replacement and again I have to pay another work permit "with extra" and Fomema as well. With this compulsory training I not sure what else I need to pay.

Cornelius said...

Sarah,

In Sabah, we have quite a number of Filipinas working as maids. However, most of them are not highly educated as those in America. Of course there are some very good ones, but generally speaking you are likely to get into a lot of troubles with the Filipinas.

Most of them have a curious addiction to the telephone. I suppose it is OK if you don't mind to spend a fortune on phone bills.

They are also naturally talented in telling lies, lots of them. This is in spite of going to church every weekend without fail.

Perhaps because they consider themselves of higher standard than the Indonesians, they also demand higher salaries.

They are many other reasons why I would choose the Indonesians.

Again, I'm saying this is generally speaking only. I acknowledge that some of them are good. My mother-in-law is a pure Filipina. And I've found that she is an honest woman. At least she does not insist that she speaks English with the American accent.

Cornelius said...

Thank you, Anonymous friend. Of course the problem of maids running away is a common one. I had a maid who came and worked for only a day and then wanted to quit because she missed her boyfriend in her village in Indonesia.

I have also experienced a maid who wanted to quit after only a month working. Unfortunately, there's no refund for the levy already paid to the government. At least not that I know of. But I still let her quit anyway. I didn't think it's a very good idea to force her to continue working, because I wouldn't have the peace of mind of what she'd put in my meals.