Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Fruit To Die For



Durian—The King of Fruits

Since I was a small boy, I have always loved durians. Unfortunately, I was told that it's not a very healthy fruit. People say that too much durians can result in increased level of cholesterol in the bloodstream, eventually leading to heart complications. I haven't really researched the truth of that claim, but since so many people have told me the same thing, I suppose there must be some truth in it.

In spite of the so-called health risk, I still eat a lot of durians whenever I have the chance. In KK durians are very expensive. A decent one usually cost at least RM10 per kg, but the price can easily reach double of that. Quite honestly, I don't really know very much about the numerous grades of durians—I just love the fruit in the general way. As long as it's durian, I'd usually love it!

Whenever I go to KL, for example, I'd usually try to make it a point to stay in YMCA in Brickfields. Apart from being conveniently near to the KL Sentral Station, there is always a durian seller at the roadside. But he only starts his business late at night, maybe around 10pm. And you can always see me eating durians squatting by the roadside beside the truck.

Recently, when I was in Johor after the Kiwanis Hunt, I happened to go downtown to kill some time. While we were looking for a cab back to the hotel, we stumbled upon a durian stall at the roadside. And again I took the opportunity to have some. Unfortunately, I was still too full from the ice kacang I had earlier. Otherwise I would have eaten even more durians that day.

Many years ago, when I was schooling in Sultan Abdul Samad, PJ, I followed my classmate back to his hometown in Batu Gajah during one of the school holidays. For three days I ate nothing but durians from his dusun durian. Too bad it was such a short visit—I could have survived solely on durians for weeks if I had to.

I will never get tired of durians. Yet I doubt that I would go as far as dying for it. [NST]


9 comments:

Stoney Meenuk said...

Wow! my fav fruit too...but yes, its so expensive in KK. Hmmmm...but during the hot season, better don't eat la...or else you feel more heat!

Nice blog...

Claire said...

I remember that "look" on your face as you savoured the durian in JB. ;-)

Cornelius said...

Ah! a fellow durian lover from KK! But sometimes I just wish that very few people like this fruit, so that it won't be so expensive!

Nah... the so-called "durian heat" can never have any effect on me, Stoney. I can eat as much as I like in any season, and I still won't be effected by "durian heat"!

And Oh! welcome to my blog!

Cornelius said...

Claire, we had some interesting outing that afternoon, didn't we? Not the kind of ice kacang I'd expected, but well, as long as it's ice kacang, worth a try.

Too bad you didn't try some durians too. But although I'm a durian lover, I'm still unaware of "alcoholic durians". Where on earth did you find those, my dear Claire?

Thinking back now, so sayang we had the ice kacang earlier. Otherwise I could have eaten more durians that day, since VK was buying!... hehehe. VK, if you're reading this, next time if you plan to belanja durian, let me know earlier lah, so that I can fast for a week!

2 Romans 1 Impostor said...

How does RM9 for unlimited supply sound to you? Catch the next plane to KL, my treat! Probably with the airfares included, still cheaper to eat in KL, tee hee!

Cornelius said...

Wow! Eat all you can for RM9/head is really cheap, especially for people like me! If only we have that kind of deal here in KK, I'd be one of the loyal supporters! Not sure I'd fly all the way to KL strictly for durians though. But I must try it out the next time I'm in KL again!

Claire said...

I didn’t try the durians in Johor does not mean I do not like durians. In fact, I love eating durians..... with rice and dried chillies stir fried chicken! Ok I know I have weird taste. Durians on their own are good too. :) I just didn’t fancy eating durians without being able to wash my hands...hehehe.

Ah...the ‘alcoholic durians'...have you tasted durians with a tinge of alcoholic and bitter taste? My parents love that type but personally, I prefer the dark yellow/ orangey fleshed ones. :)

Heyyy...may I join in the RM9 eat-all-you-can durian buffet too? But I’m sure I can’t eat as much as you, dear Cornelius.

peter said...

2R1I

Oh, please. Share the location for the RM9 durian buffet.

Another durian 'kaki'

2 Romans 1 Impostor said...

Hey Peter, try SS2 - behind the BHP station. 3 stalls to select from, all around the RM9 - RM10 range for an unlimited feast. Pay more if you are into the branded varieties like "Kunyit".