Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My First Notebook


For years people have been trying very hard to convince me to buy a laptop or a notebook. But I have been stubborn; I preferred the old-fashioned way of working on my desktop instead. Think about it; what would I need a laptop or notebook for? I have a desktop at home, and I have another in the office. And the distance between my home to the office is only about 15 minutes away. What's the odds of me working on a laptop between those two points?

Besides the hussle of packing and tagging along my laptop, it's also a known fact that for the same price I can get double the speed on my desktop when compared to the laptop. I was also a bit concerned that it's much harder to type on the laptop, because I had the impression that the keys were smaller and closer to each other.

Then this lately, whenever I went outstation, I've been seeing people working on their laptops. And there were many instances where I've seen them connected to the internet too; for example at the airports. It struck me that I could at least update my blog while waiting for flights etc. Yeah... that would be good. In the end, I began to explore the possibility of buying my very first notebook.

I have said before, that I'm an idiot when it comes to computers. That hasn't changed very much up to now. When I made up my mind to invest in a notebook, I didn't quite know where to start. I went to Karamunsing Complex and there were tons of laptops and notebooks there. I grabbed several brochures and brought them back to the office. Going through the info in those brochures did little for me. I was just blind to all those computer terms.

After trying to investigate, and failed to get very far, I decided to seek help from my friend, Eric. Incidentally, Eric has been meaning to get a notebook himself too, but he said he's a bit pokai right now. Anyway, I told him what I need a notebook for, which was basically, well, basic stuff. He recommended something which I understood next to nothing. But I told him to make the order for me anyway. No need all those special high-tech stuffs—a plain simple one would do just fine!

And so Eric picked up the phone, made some calls and proceeded to make the order. Well, that was last Friday. I had no idea what's coming my way. This morning, my very first notebook arrived with a pricetag of RM2,500. Quite a decent-looking machine and in my opinion for the right price too. I paid up, and was given a receipt containing the following info:

ACER 2920-6A1G16Mi NOTEBOOK

- INTEL CORE 2 DUO PRECESSOR; 12.1" WXGA ACER CRYSTALBRITE;

2GB DDR 2 RAM; 160GB HDD; DVD-WUPER MULTI; 56K, BLUETOOTH;

10/100/1000 BASE T; 802.11B/G

I spent a good 10 minutes trying to figure out the above cryptic information, but all I got was a grim reminder of the Crack-A-Pot clue of the Kiwanis Treasure Hunt. I am still lost up to now.

I was talking over the phone with a friend and wanted to boast a bit about my new notebook. So I mentioned some of the above features, trying very hard to behave like I knew what I was talking about. But my friend told me that those are common features found on a basic laptop or notebook these days. He told me to make full use of my notebook while I still can, because it will soon become obsolete. I refuse to believe him; I am determined to use my notebook for at least 5 years!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

now all you need is one of those celcom/maxis ubs modem so you can blog anything/anywhere.

Anonymous said...

now all you need is one of those celcom/maxis usb modem so you can blog anything/anywhere.

Anonymous said...

Spot the difference:

http://ckoh1965.blogpsot.com/

http://ckoh1965.blogspot.com/

One promotes religion, and the other promotes about everything else!

Cornelius said...

I am not sure that I'd go that far for the moment, delurk. But if there're more hunts here in KK, I might just do it! Right now I have internet connectivity at home and in the office. I don't foresee extensive requirement of the internet in between—at least not to the extent to justify incurring additional cost.

Cornelius said...

Wow! Amazing discovery, 2R1I! Had me fooled just for a moment! I am not that famous for people to duplicate my address, but this is very close!

Some of my readers—I don't know who they are—have sent me some sort of promotional deals to have my own domain for a fixed annual fee. The package comes with some other features, e.g. unlimited mailbox capacity (which yahoo also offers), web page design (or something like that), etc etc.

Perhaps one of these days, if I really want to go into making money through blogging, I would really find out about all these stuff.

Anonymous said...

no you are not that famous!

try replacing anyname with your name.

e.g http://www.vkchong.blogpsot.com/

Cornelius said...

Exactly my point, delurk! I am NOT that famous for people to duplicate my blog name! If I were Ali Rustam, then perhaps there is reason for people to make a bogus blog under my name!