Thursday, June 12, 2008

Hard Times

I had a humble beginning. As a boy, I went through a hell lot of shit; my family was never rich in love. There was a time when life was so miserable that I even contemplated committing suicide. But well, you know, it's easier said than done. The survival instinct always prevail in the end.

I have long since closed that ugly chapter of my life. It is not something I can just forget though. All I can say is that I hope that my JJ won't have to go through what I went through.

In spite of my lousy childhood, I can say that I've been lucky. I am far from the richness of people like Bill Gates, but I have to admit that I am better off than many others around me. I am trying to imagine what would have happened if I were not so lucky; if I had to live my life being a robber instead.

I have the attitude of doing things in a big way. If I do anything at all, I want to do it perfectly—or at least I try my best to. Otherwise, I'd rather not do it at all. So if I were a robber, I'll make sure that I rob the millions, not the measly thousands. That's why it intrigued me when I read about a bunch of robbers who went through all the trouble to break into a factory, kill a security guard (who's probably there for window-dressing only), hold up 26 people and in the end yielded only RM13,000 worth of cash and valuables. [The Star] It was not stated whether the robbers grabbed a bunch of condoms too. Otherwise I guess some people will have to do without condoms for a while because of the sudden shortage.

When robbers have to resort to raiding a condom factory, perhaps it shows how desperate things are in Malaysia. After all, not all of us are earning anywhere close to the entertainment allowances of the Prime Minister and all the other VIPs. And this is not even talking about the salaries; merely the entertainment allowances! I'm sure many of us would be very, very happy if we can earn half of those allowances.

Luckily, our VIPs care for us minions; when they decided to raise fuel prices by 40% to 60%, they also decided that it's only right for them to cut their own expenses by 10%. At least the VIPs are suffering together with the rakyat; they now have shorter vacations and to nearer destinations too! We are also thankful that there will be no more fuel price hike for the rest of this year. [The Star]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

robbing a condom factory it's killing 2 birds with one stone. it takes care of both kind of "hard" times.

Cornelius said...

Hahaha!... well, I didn't think of other kinds of hard times, delurk. But now that you've brought up another possible kind of "hard time", I guess it makes sense to rob a condom factory! But to kill a man for that kind of hard time is amazing!... hahaha!

Anonymous said...

speaking of condom factory, i know a food chemist who works at a condom factory.

Cornelius said...

Now what would a food chemist do in a condom factory? I've read about the Chinese recycling condoms into rubber bands for trying hair. Perhaps the next step is to recycle condoms into chewing gums?... HAHAHAHA!