Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Tiger Next Door

It's time for some grandfather stories. I have neglected this particular category for a while now...

My home is a corner unit terraced house in a housing estate known as Taman Iramanis. Almost 6 years ago, when I moved back from Brunei, I decided to buy this house because of two main reasons.

Firstly, it was all that I could afford back then. I had spent about 13 years of my life in Brunei. It was there that I took up a distant-learning course offered by a university in England. I worked days and studied nights for about 4 years. After I earned a degree, I had to pursue a professional qualification. I eventually became a chartered valuer. However, when I returned to Malaysia to practise, my qualification was not recognized by the Malaysian Board of Valuers, Appraisers & Estate Agents. In order to practise as a Registered Valuer in Malaysia, I had to undergo the Test of Prefessional Competence (TPC) conducted by the Board. I tried asking for some exemption, but to no avail. So I had to repeat the whole process again for the second time in my life—I had to fill up a work diary and logbook. After 2 years, I had to prepare 2 practical task reports (something akin to theses); and then attend a professional interview where a panel of three interviewers would ask any questions under the sun relating to the valuation profession within a timeframe of about 3 hours. It was such a painful experience, but what more could I do? I am a Chinese and I don't have any relative who's a politician. It was only after I had passed the TPC that I quickly climbed up the ladder in my company to where I am today. A lot of time had been wasted, but, you know, you can't have everything. Better late than never, right?

Anyway, because my qualification was not recognized in Malaysia when I was first relocated back from Brunei to KK, I had to start over from the bottom in my company's hierarchy. And of course my earning power was also substantially reduced. In the end, I was only able to afford the house I'm staying in now.

The second reason why I bought this house was because I liked (and I still do) its relatively huge compound. The plot size is about 5,500 sq ft. So I have enough space to build an artificial waterfall and a small pond where I have some kois. Mia loves the spacious compound too. In fact, between the two of us, she was the first one who viewed this house. Well, she fell in love with it instantly. It was also one of those few available options that would agree with my pocket back then.

As I said, it's been about 6 years now. And there is no good reason to move to another house. It's not like I have a big family. Although I plan to move to a bigger house some day, I am not in a real hurry to do so.

BUT! this recently I'm beginning to think that I might have a good reason to move after all.

For a while now whenever we're all in bed late at night, there's this knocking sounds from who-knows-where! Those sounds would continue for a long time—quite often up to way after midnight. My best guess was that maybe our TV antenna up on the roof must have become loose a bit; hence when the wind blew, it sort of swung to and fro, thus producing the knocking sounds. But that was not a very convincing explanation because the knocking sounds did not seem to come from the rooftop. Besides, why would the TV antenna make those sounds only at night around bedtime?

Tonight, there's that sound again. We're all set to go to bed. But tonight I am determined, once and for all, to investigate those knocking sounds. One way or another I want to find the source of those damn sounds!

Was it indeed the TV antenna on the rooftop? Or was it some animals causing those sounds?

So there I was, armed with a flashlight, out of my house in the middle of the night. But as soon as I was out of the house, those sounds were even much clearer and louder. It wasn't the TV antenna at all. Instead it was an animal that's been producing those annoying sounds—or at least a different kind of animal. It became obvious that those sounds were coming from our next door neighbour. There is a brick party wall between our respective front porches. So I was unable to see directly.

Now I don't have the habit of spying on my neighbours, but this time the curiosity got the better of me. I walked further out beyond the party wall, and peeped into my neighbour's front porch. The lights were bright. And there he was, the Tiger wannabe teenage son practising his golf swings. The sounds came from the golf club when it struck the concrete floor.

I thought I'd be happier if I could solve the mystery of the nocturnal sounds. Now that I've found the source of those annoying sounds, I am even more frustrated. Some people are just so inconsiderate of their neighbours. Would it be worth it to tell my neighbours off and then risk causing some sort of animosity between us? Well, I might just tell them off. But I'd probably do that when I'm ready to move to another house!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess you can try the nicer way first. Pretend that you didn't know it was the son and his midnight golf antics. Just ask them if they hear some sounds at night (act dumb). Put the blame on your wife. Say something like... "My wife heard some noices and asked me to check if got rats / robbers..."

Cornelius said...

That is not a bad idea. But we don't really have a pleasant neighbourly relationship. Of the 6 years that we've been neighbours, I doubt that we've had 10 conversations with each other. We drive in the driveway, see our neighbours meddling with their orchids, then just a little wave of the hand as a friendly gesture, and that's all. Never really asking each other about the weather or what they think of about our corrupt political and judicial systems. We didn't even get to ask for their opinions about the poor lady who was shot just a few hundred metres down the road in the wee hours of the morning.

To suddenly ask our neighbours about rats now would be out of the ordinary, if you know what I mean.

Unknown said...

Hi Cornelius. Your story is not alone.

I just completed the 2 year experience. Still have 3 things to do.
1. record of experience
2. 2 Task
3. Interview.

Any advice what to prepare and how to prepare.
Thanks
KC

Cornelius said...

Hi KC Law,

It's difficult to say how to prepare, as they may ask you practically anything under the sun related to the valuation profession. However, usually the questions will be focused on the 2 practical task papers.

Bear in mind that the 3 interviewers are practising valuers, and they know their stuff really well; so don't try to bluff. And even if you want to bluff, make sure you limit it to 5 minutes only. After 5 minutes, make sure you know what you're talking about!

I said these people know their stuff, but they are not perfect. They are humans too. They asked me questions, to which I had the correct answers. They disputed my answers, and I debated my point. They stood their grounds, and I eventually backed down. The reason I did so was because they had the whiphand, not because I agreed with them. They were WRONG then; and then are still wrong up to now. But I needed them for my professional licence. That's life I guess.

Unknown said...

Hi Cornelius,

Thank you for your comments.

I have also ask a friend who pass the interview in 1 sitting.

Since they are valuers. I have selected 2 task to do . (b)valuation of building and (e)property mgt.

Was told to do (e) because is an area that they not so expert in and less questions.

I have ask a friend who is CEO in a co. to allow to do the 2 reports for their building. Was ask to write in for permission.

If they agreed will start writing.
By the way, when did you do your TPC and which Valuer Co, you are practicing now.

Great to know you and we may have a lot to share about what in Malaysia hahaha because I am above 50 now and my earlier profession is an engineer.
Thanks

Cornelius said...

HI KC LAW,

I became a Chartered Valuer around 1996 I think; and passed the TPC IN Msia in 2005. Seems like so long ago! Although I passed the interview in one attempt, I was made to make some amendments in my valuation report and had to re-submit. I did not agree with SOME of those changes, but as I said, sometimes there are battles not worth winning in life!

In the years past since the time when I qualified, I can't help but notice there've been a gradual change in the way how the TPC is conducted. Instead of being a test in the practical sense, it is becoming more of an academic thing, which in my opinion is a departure from the true intention of the test.

There is no need to be a walking text book of the National Land Code, or Parry's table. In the practical world, one is able to check up on these things...where to get the information etc. But these days, what has happened is that even the questions being asked in the interview have been compiled and shared as a reference book, resulting in a lot of memorization. That, to me, does not reflect well on the profession. But of course that is consistent with the Malaysian education system - no more no less the production of sponges. These sponges will absorb whatever is poured onto them. And then when you squeeze them, they will reproduce what they've absorb, but nothing original.

But in the face of out of text questions, these people will crumble...

How would you value a satellite?

Do you think it's better for a shopping mall to manage its own parking space or is it better to let a third party manage it for them?

How would you value a 10-acre land, a quarter of which is a lake?

These are the kind of questions that one can't really find the the text books.

Oh! by the way, I'm a Director of CH Williams, Talhar & Wong. I'm presently managing our KK branch office.

Unknown said...

Hi Cornelius,

It is a small world.

I cant imagine it take you from 1996 to 2005 to complete TPC.

Same things happen to us too.
I left engineering profession after almost 20 yrs in the profession. I then work as a real estate negotiator for 4 yrs and then take the ISM direct final for 5 yrs to clear all the papers. It was a nightmares and more than 50% of my class give up after 2 to 3 yrs.

I then work in Valuer co for over 2 yrs.now after completing ISM direct final. Now need to prepare for 2 task and interview.

Yes. You are right to say that the TPC is more of Theoritical than Practical.

There are 4 areas to pepare:
1. The real estate
2. The valuation
3. The property management
4. Property Law

The 2 task i chose would covers the 2 and 3

1 is an area i have experience not much problem

The only area got to pay special attention is 4.Property Law.

The only reason why i chose to do valuation is.It is wider scope and property maintenance is actually quite straight forward stuff.

I believe once we have problems solving skills everything is manageable and people skills is sometime more important.

I do enjoy my valuation experience because it fill up the missing link of real estate agency. I find that valuation is quite rigid, report follows certain format.I believe if we can do different things EVERY week it will be better than one who do the same things over 20 yrs.
Haha just my comment.

O By the way I was up in Mount KK last Year June. KK have change a lot n was there in 1991.

Great to know you. Thank for your sharing.

Cornelius said...

Hi KC LAW,

I suppose it does look a bit strange that it took me such a long time from 1996 to 2005 to pass the TPC. I'm known to be a very disciplined person, and when I set my mind to accomplish something, I don't procrastinate. I'm not one of those people who claim that health, for example, is the most important thing to them, but take no proactive steps to maintain or improve their health.

You see, I spent many years working in Brunei. In fact, I managed the Brunei branch for more than 10 years. Unfortunately, the Board of Valuers, Appraisers and Estate Agents, Malaysia does not allow valuers practising abroad to sit for the TPC. One would have to work in Malaysia, in a property valuation company, for a minimum of 2 years practical experience to be eligible for the TPC.

I was only able to embark on that process when I finally decided to relocate to Malaysia for good in late 2002, and then having gone through all the usual requirements, finally passed the TPC around mid 2005. I tried to get exemptions from all those nitty gritty and directly go for the professional interview, but the Board rejected my request. So I had to go through the normal process like any other fresh graduate, which I did.

Unknown said...

Hi Cornelius,

My friend have work for valuation co. for more than 10 years but have not got the pre-registration qualification. After he pass the Direct Final by ISM . He still need to work 2 yrs and do 2 task before the interview. He close his own real estate co. work for valuation co. again for 2 more years after passing the Direct Final. Now reopen his co. again but no bank panels to do valuation.

I understand your position .You are registered with RICS but the board don't accept the experience.
This is the same in engineering profession.

You are right too. Some have CABLES and do it back door. Anyway, I am happy to move from engineering to real estate and valuation. The registration allows me to increase the scope of work.

Yes, I agree with you health is very important, money is important but I believe integrity is missing , that's why our society have so much irrepairable problems(U know what I mean). Msia have gone from good to bad and now becoming the worst nevertheless is home to me since I have survive under this constraint.

Great. Move on, I believe valuation is your passionate profession. Since Sabah have lots of land you must be EXPERT in land valuation and now so many buildings going up u also be expert in building too.

Have a great week end