Saturday, May 3, 2008

Dungeons & Monsters

At one time in my life I was obsessed with the video game known as Tomb Raider. I was window shopping during one weekend and happened to pass a video game shop when I saw a crowd watching the shopkeeper playing the game on the then newly-arrived Playstation console. Many sequels of the Tomb Raider have since come into the market; and the Playstation console had also seen newer generations in the PS2 and more recently the PS3. But I have long given up on the Tomb Raider series, having finished only up to Tomb Raider 4.

Then some years ago, there was a comedy movie entitled Blast From The Past, starred by Brendan Fraser. The story was about a scientist who was convinced of an impending nuclear war. He built a secret underground chamber where his family would be protected from the radiation of the nuclear bomb. It happened that a plane crashed onto his house just as he had descended into that underground chamber of his. And so the scientist, his wife and a son spent some 30 years in that chamber, not knowing that there was in fact no nuclear war at all!

When I was watching that movie, I actually said to myself, "Who in his right mind would go through all the trouble to build such an underground chamber like that?" It seemed such a silly idea to me.

But in fact it was not a silly idea after all. At least one man actually took all the trouble to build an underground chamber under his house. However, he did not build it for the purpose of protection from the nuclear war. No—he built it for the specific purpose of imprisoning a woman so that he could repeatedly rape and sexually abuse that woman for 24 years, resulting in 7 children. And of all the millions of women in this world, he chose his own daughter to be the victim. The monster has since earned an entry into Wikipedia.

Dungeons and monsters are real enough. There are times when it is difficult to tell the difference between a man and an animal.

5 comments:

Hope said...

yeah, this story really gives me the creeps. imagine living underground, not seeing other ppl except for your father who comes to you only to rape you over and over again.
he should be castrated.. let him suffer..

Cornelius said...

The most fantastic thing about this case was the premeditated nature of the crime. It must have taken a long time to build that underground chamber, complete with the room to sleep, place to cook and even a toilet. That chamber was also sound insulated. If he built that place himself he must have taken years to complete it.

I think there was nothing mentioned about whether his wife knew the existence of that underground place. If she knew of its existence, I must say it's strange that she never had the curiosity to check the place out throughout that 24 years.

It's amazing to think of the trouble he'd go through to abduct his own daughter!

CK said...

so, how do you find Ms. Jolie then Corny?

Cornelius said...

Ms Jolie? You mean Angelina Jolie, CK?

Oh she's a very beautiful woman! It must be some sort of evidence that God exists, I guess. Only God can create such a beautiful creature, right? Of course she acted in the movie version of the Tomb Raider. Her chest wasn't as big as that of the video game version—eventhough those movie makers gave her larger bras when she acted her role as Lara Croft.

But perhaps because I'm a big fan of the video game version of Lara Croft, I think Ms Jolie did not measure up to the original character. Don't get me wrong, she is a beautiful woman, just not enough for the video game version.

On the other hand, I liked her very much in the Mr & Mrs Smith movie. I can understand why Braddie boy was captivated. Some people are just lucky I guess.

CK said...

HAHA....
I told my fren the same thing after watching Mr & Mrs Smith. No wonder Aniston lost.