Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Rock Climbers

Those who read my blog are made of people having wide-ranging interests, including athletes, treasure hunters, or just people stopping by for a regular dose of my dry sense of humour. The title of this particular post may give the wrong impression of a sports-related matter; so let me just say that it is not! Instead, it has something to do with politics—and I don't even know very much about the subject! If you think that it's not worthwhile to waste your time reading the opinion of someone not well-versed in the subject, may I suggest that you stop reading here, since hypertension (also known as high blood pressure) is becoming rampant these days.

So OK, it seems that you still want to continue reading, huh? Fine.

Well, I'm not an expert in rock climbing; in fact, I've never even tried it. But of course I've seen others doing it, and I'm always amazed at how good some of them are at it. If I had to do it, I think I can probably survive up to about 10m high on a relatively easy wall. Beyond that height, I'd most probably faint because of the fear of height.

When you come to think of it, it's fantastic the way an expert rock climber would be able to find a grip on an apparently smooth surface. He would somehow find something to hang on to, even if he has to climb in a zig-zag manner, with the sole aim of going higher and higher until he reaches to top. It is a skillful maneuver, but a single mistake can send him falling all the way to the ground with dire consequences. It's no laughing matter!

I see some politicians very much like the rock climber mentioned above; except that they're not necessarily experts at it. In Sabah, we have Datuk Yong Teck Lee and Datuk Dr Jeffrey Kitingan. In the West, we have Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim. These people yearn so much to get to the top of the wall, and they struggle to find those little nooks and corners and jutting portions on the wall, however small and ridiculous they are, in their hope to get to pull themselves up to the top somehow. Unlike the actual rock climber in the preceding paragraph, I frequently find myself fairly amused when seeing these politicians in their endeavours. It is almost comical to me! They have been trying, and failing many times in the process; and who knows, maybe one of these days, a couple of them will succeed to get to the top. I will be among the first ones to congratulate them, even if I'd still be laughing then.

When I set my mind to achieve something, it is very rare that anything at all can stop me. Either I achieve it sooner or later, or I just die trying. It can become an obsession and not everybody can understand such an attitude.

That is why in a strange way, although I'm amused by these politicians and their antics, in the end I have to admit that I admire them anyway.


No comments: