Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sutera Harbour 7K Sunset Charity Run 2008

Yesterday was the first time I participated in the Sutera Harbour 7K Sunset Charity Run. My friend, Teo, told me earlier that it would start around 5:30pm. I arrived there at about 5:10pm, but had to spend several minutes to look for a parking. I finally found one at quite a distance from the starting point. While Mia and I walked to the starting point, we were informed by a guard that the run was scheduled to start at 5:17pm. I don't know what's the significance of that time, but I intend to find out soon.

Anyway, we were about 100 metres, walking towards the starting point, when we heard the countdown on the loudspeaker; and then soon after we heard the loud blaring of the starting horn. We ran the remaining several metres to the starting point, but had to stop again because of the huge crowd—it was impossible to run. About 300 metres later, the gaps were building up and it was then possible to start running.

I turned back and saw Mia was still close behind me. It wasn't a very pleasant run because we had to maneuvre our way in between the big crowd. That was the condition of the run until almost 2 kilometres into the run.

The route was from the Marina Clubhouse to the internal Sutera Complex road; then making a turn all the way out to the coastal highway. Thereafter, turn towards Wawasan Plaza and up to the roundabout; and finally all the way back to the Marina Clubhouse. A total distance of about 7 kilometres.

By the time we were approaching the coastal highway (perhaps 2 kilometres into the run), the crowd had more or less spread out and it was finally possible to build up speed. I looked back again and Mia was no where in sight by then. The coastal highway to Wawasan was a straight stretch.

There was a "water station" just after the corner out from the Sutera Complex. I grabbed a cup and gulped down the whole content within a few seconds. Actually I had no plans to stop for drinks; it's after all a fairly short course of 7 km. But the sun was hot and the air was burning my lungs. After a dose of that 100 plus, I stepped my pace throughout that stretch up to Wawasan Plaza. There was another "water station" there, but I decided not to have any drink.

Well, I approached the roundabout, made my turn and head back towards Sutera Harbour. Just as I was making a turn at the coastal highway, I saw Mia coming from the opposite direction. At that point Mia was about a kilometre behind me. A little wave and smile to each other. I was feeling pretty OK then, so I decided to increase my pace.

Perhaps it had something to do with psychology, but it's strange that as I was approaching the final 500 metres of the run, I felt extremely exhausted. I had to fight the inclination to stop running.

It was quite a relief to finally see the finish point. A fellow Rotarian, George Ngui, was there to congratulate me. By the way the day before that George said he would join the Sutera run too. I did not know that by "joining the run" he meant as a spectator only.

Well, 7 kilometres in 39 minutes 16 seconds. Perhaps it's possible to shave a few more minutes if not for the big crowd. I must try to do better next year.

I was having my second cup of 100 plus when I saw Mia arrive with a time of about 47 minutes. I think she'll be just fine for the 10 km run this coming October 12. As for me, I can't imagine how I am gonna be able to complete the 21 km. Still so much more work to do to improve my pace and endurance.

So that adds up to an accumulated 22 km run for this week. Next week, I need to improve that to about 25 km somehow. I have stopped taking Lipitor for the time being; but instead have embarked on B complex and cod liver oil capsules. About 10 weeks to go for the half marathon. Bring it on!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats...u did the first run so hope to to see you and more friends next year...or why not every year!! It only take you say 2 hrs of your Sunday and its for charity, as what Tony Fernandez said. I was there 4.45pm after the Inter Pro bowling competition but was told would start at 5.17pm by a participant. Did not do much warm up, just rushed to the starting point and run. The usually 7KM that i ran last year was easy for me but yesterday's "SUNSET" Run was actually a DESERT run...too hot to handle, even took of my cap & stop once for the 100plus drink.

So Corny, now you know the difference between running on a treadmill & outdoor running huh?? Many factors to consider such as weather, ground surface, other runner's pace and the smoke from the moving vehicles also not forgetting the girls which would definitely pump you up haha!!

Good luck in your 21KM run tis Oct, I myself is quite worried after yesterday's run...42KM might not be my toughest stumbling block but the HEAT may just bring me down!! Haha what to do, have signed up and paid to torture myself.....

Cornelius said...

Teo,

I knew the difference between outdoor and indoor running long ago. I've been running outdoor short distances long before I joined YFitness. Perhaps the one factor that will have a great impact on my performance is the hot weather. Last Saturday's was a bit extreme. The day started very cloudy, but towards the evening it was horribly hot.

I suppose fumes from the vehicles will also affect me, but I am hardly affected by the women runners. Yes, I admire beautiful figures, but they won't disrupt my rhythm!

A somewhat depressing revelation this morning, Teo. I thought the 39 mins I clocked last Saturday was a bit too good. I know my ability based on my performance on the treadmill. I timed myself at the Likas Sports Complex too. I did not believe I could've improved so fast, at least not on a hot day like last Saturday's.

So just shortly ago, upon reaching the office, I launched google satelite pictures and then measured from there. The Sutera route is only about 6.5km! So if it had really been 7km, I would have taken 40-45 mins to complete the run, which is more like it!

Anonymous said...

39/40 min for a 7km run is a respectable time. You can easily dip under 2 hr for a half marathon race if you can maintain that speed. I think you can do it if you have enough training and don't forget, for running in the morning one don't get the heat creeping up on you from the feet as it is in the evening. Try that sometimes and you will know what I mean.

Cornelius said...

Thanks for your confidence in me, my friend. But I am a realistic person; I don't believe I can achieve the 21 km under 2 hours. I've been running 4 - 5 km before this, so pushing it up to 7 km wasn't exactly a fantastic achievement. It was still possible to push for those extra few km, if you know what I mean.

But it won't be the same story for the 21 km. Right now I can tell you that it is just impossible for me to maintain that speed throughout the 21 km. Whenever I do anything at all, I always aim high, and I always give it my best shot. But I know my limits too!

Having said that, however, I am going to try to clock below 2 hours for the 21 km. Based on my physical condition now, I think a more realistic time is around 2.5 hrs. That's why I need to train religiously over the next few weeks and hope to improve somehow. Let's see if I will change my mind on my ability in a few weeks' time.