Thursday, July 24, 2008

Credit Cards

At one time owning credit cards was considered something grand. Back then only some people were entitled to own credit cards. In order to qualify for them, one had to have a minimum steady income; and there was a fixed annual fee charged.

But over the years, as the earning power of Malaysians improved, many more people have reached that minimum income level to qualify for the ownership of credit cards. And because of the competition among the many card merchants, the annual fees have generally been abolished. Even if there were annual fees, they are quite easily waived upon request.

Nowadays almost everyone has a credit card. In fact most people have several each. Every now and then we get to see credit card promotions in shopping malls or any other high pedestrian areas. There is in fact nothing special about having credit cards.

There are basically 3 types of cards—classic, gold and platinum. Broadly speaking, each type is meant for a certain income level, and therefore the credit limit would normally increase with each type. For example, the gold card has a higher charge limit over the classic card; whereas the platinum card has the highest charge limit over the rest. There are of course some exceptions.

I have several credit cards too. And I am not paying any annual fee. Each month I would receive an average of 2 phone calls from card promoters, some from west Malaysia. But I turned down the offers. Presently, I have at least 5 credit cards. Perhaps I have more than that, but I kinda lost track of the rest. Don't get me wrong, I don't enjoy collecting all those cards. In fact I hardly ever used them. But sometimes, because of trying to be nice to some people who I do business with, I had no choice but to accept those credit cards which were forced upon me.

I only use 2 of my credit cards, sometimes when I travel, sometimes when I do my grocery shopping. I am not very crazy about expensive branded goods, so I hardly ever charge a big amount to my cards—at most a few thousand bucks, but even those are very infrequent and far apart. I am also a bit paranoid about leaving a debt hanging when the payment is due. So I make it a point to make full payment when it's due, however much I've charged to my cards. To be very sure, I even signed an instruction to my bank to automatically deduct whatever payments, in full, from my account. That way it's not even possible that I can forget to pay. It's nice that all these could be arranged by the bank, isn't it?

However, as I said earlier, each card has a credit limit. Since I hardly ever charge a big amount to my cards anyway, I can't be bothered about credit limits; I'm not likely to reach those limits anyway. Therefore I don't really care if I hold a classic card or gold card. As far as I am concerned all these cards are the same.

Then about a year ago, there was one time I went to pay my life insurance policies. I have two insurance policies, you see. And I've opted for lump-sum annual payments too. It happened that the amount for those 2 policies came up to a little over RM10,000. I had to use both my cards to make those payments.

More recently, we had our annual dinner. At the end of the dinner, the bill came up to over RM10,000; and again I had to use both my cards to make the payment. Luckily the restaurant manager was kind enough to agree for a credit, which was to be settled by cheque at a later date. After that I started thinking of the inconvenience of the credit limits. It's still true that I hardly ever reach those limits, but it's still better if I have cards with higher limits.

I was having a yam-cha with a friend one day, and I told him about this credit card story. He said why not apply for a platinum card? Platinum cards are supposed to have higher limits. And I thought that's a good idea. But I never really looked into it, so the matter died off there and then.

Then about 2 weeks ago, I happened to be doing a small transaction in a bank wherein I have an account. While waiting in a queue, I noticed the application forms for credit cards. I took one and brought it back to the office. The general requirements for a platinum card are the same, except that the annual income is much higher than the other cards.

I filled up the form, made photocopies of some documents to prove my annual income, and then dropped it off at the bank. I was told that it would take a week or two for processing my application. But I told the clerk I don't really need it urgently, so they could take their time.

About a week later, I received a letter from the bank. I was surprised to have been informed that my application was rejected. I have never missed any payments for any of my credit cards before. I have an existing home loan with another bank, of which I am "over-paying" each month so that I can redeem the loan earlier by about 5 years (of a 15-year loan). As far as I am concerned, I have satisfied all the requirements in the application form. Of all the things that could go wrong with my application, I did not expect that it would be rejected. How embarrassing!

I don't really need the platinum card, and I don't intend to pursue the matter. But I wished the bank would at least give me a reason for rejecting my application. When I asked the clerk at the bank, he told me to call a toll-free number to get the answer. Now why would I make that call?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't understand why the bank would reject your request for a platinum card and not even have the courtesy to give you a reason why, especially when you meet the requirements. I found price comparison websites a useful avenue when I was looking a good cash back credit card. Maybe these one of sites will be able to help you get a platinum card. Worth a try I reckon.

Cornelius said...

Hi Paula,

Having read this post, a friend wrote to me, saying that from the bank's point of view I am a lousy customer. He considered that my paying the bills in full when they're due is bad business for the bank. He reckoned that the bank has no opportunity to make money from me. In fact, he suggested that the bank would incur cost for providing me the services!

I can agree with my friend, but only to a certain extent. The bank still earns a small percentage of whatever amount I charge to the card. Even if it has no opportunity to earn "late-payment" interests from me, I still think it's a worth-while business for the bank.

Regarding not giving me a reason for rejecting my application, I think that is because the info was fed into a computerised filtering system. And once certain "requirements" such as the one suggested by my friend above is not met, the rejection letter is printed out automatically, without giving any reason.

CK said...

tat bank is stupid to reject your application. they turn away a loaded customer hahahhaa

Cornelius said...

Not too sure about "loaded customer", CK. But as I said, it doesn't really matter whether I pay full amount or not. The point is, the bank still makes some money either way.

Besides, I tend to charge some company expenses to the card too every now and then (although of course I'd claim back from the company). Therefore, that "small" amount the bank's gonna earn from the card is still worth-while business.

By the way, CK, how come I didn't see you at yesterday's run? Were you there in the crowd? Teo ran an impressive 30-minute workout. But he probably buyuk by lining up at the front of the crowd as early as 3:00pm?... hehehe

Teo, I want to see you keep up with that pace when you do the 42km run this October!

Anonymous said...

My story was even funnier.....it started when my wife was a Maybank staff years ago. So automatically I have a few accounts, keep my FDs, buying bonds & unit trust with tis bank. Then, I tried to apply for a credit card but rejected coz maybe I m her spouse. Ok fine, then after she resigned, I applied again, rejected yet again: reason I m a Site Engineer (high risk kononnya). Fine, so other banks without much hassle offered me Gold cards with free annual fees, free gifts etc. Been using them until now. Same as u Corny, I never ever delay in paying my payments and to top it all I always pay extra Rm50 to Rm100 more each card.

Then just last month, I received an offer from Petronas Maybank C.C. reg the Platinum & Gold credit card - free for life. Of course tis time I was quite surprised that they finally "acknowledge" me as their qualified credit card holder after 10 years!! So, of course I ticked the Platinum box coz I have 5 Gold cards at the moment. Weeks later, I received my card....happy??? No, another Gold Card. Immediately, I called to clarify tat I applied for the Platinum card and not the Gold. The person in charge asked me about tis & tat regarding my income, businesses blax3...wtf, you offered me the card & u asked about my details?? Havent u dont your research which is just a click away from your database? Damn, are they trying to play me around or I m just tat Unlucky High Risk Engineer? So, he replied tat he would inform his superior to look into my request. So, until today, I m still the so called lucky owner of a Petronas Maybank Gold card, no reply yet 4d Platinum card. May just stop my major dealings with tis bank and move on with Public Bank or CIMB bank. I am not tat cruel to completely close my Maybank accounts, would definitely leave RM10 in each accounts to show my patriotism & unconditioned support to MAYBANK!!