Thursday, July 31, 2008

Borneo Marathon—Surviving The First Week

Yes, folks, It's been slightly over a week since I started training seriously for the half marathon. During the first week, I ran a total distance of 22 km; seven of which was covered in the Sutera Harbour Sunset Run 2008.

Overall, I can say that my training is progressing quite well. I have since lost about 1 kg in body weight. My knees are getting stronger. In fact, I feel my whole body is getting stronger. A bit tired in the mornings after the long runs, but otherwise I'm doing great.

Two days ago I received a call from the lab. The formal report on my medical examination was ready. So yesterday, I made an appointment to see the doctor. I was found to be healthy; even my lipid profile turned out to be very good:

Total cholesterol = 4.4 mmol/l
Triglycerides = 1.6 mmol/l
HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol) = 1.5 mmol/l
LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) = 2.2 mmol/l
Total chol/HDL ratio = 2.9.

I am also happy to note that my blood pressure had improved dramatically to 120/80.

At the rate I am going now, I'm sure I will continue to lose weight over the next couple of weeks. And this Saturday I will check out the marathon clinic at the Likas Sports Complex. Perhaps I will also buy a new pair of running shoes later this week.

I have a lot of stories to tell about running gears, but I will tell you later. I'm seeing some other people running longer than usual in the gym, so I suppose they're also preparing for the marathon. It's quite interesting to see an increasing number of women runners too.

Good to see some sexy women in the gym for a change. Women are generally not very keen on doing physical exercises, you see. They only do it when they are already fat. Otherwise, the best formula for them is to go on a strict diet; which means refrain from eating.



But of course some women are exercise freaks too. They train so damn hard until they become something like in the above picture. I don't have anything against active women; in fact, I admire them. But I am still inclined to obey my masculine instinct; it is scary to see women without any breasts, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I have been corresponding with Shan Sandhu, the Event Coordinator of the Borneo International Marathon. And she has a blog too; she posted an article about the marathon clinic in her blog. This is one interesting information that I've found out from her. These are the important stations throughout the routes of the various runs:


It's good to know that there will be plenty of opportunities to rehydrate the body during the run.

Now I shall look for Shan again; let's see if I can get my RM50 Adidas voucher for my shoe-shopping this weekend. I'm sure Mia could use a RM50 discount too.

2 comments:

Shan said...

Hi Cornelius! Thanks for the plug. Heh.

The RM50 rebate vouchers were only given out during the adidas Footscan program which was a one-off 2 weeks ago.

We will however be getting more vouchers from adidas sometime within the next 2 weeks and I will be giving them out to confirmed participants. Will be sure to let you guys know when I have em.

Hope to see you tomorrow, if my sinuses are behaving themselves. Still on sick leave :(

Cornelius said...

Shan,

My mistake; I didn't realise that it's a rebate voucher. I suppose that means I can only get the "discount" the next time I buy something from Adidas?

Teo would tell you that he got an immediate discount in Palm Square, i.e. 30% of RM399 a couple of weeks ago. That works out to be much more than RM50 discount!

So later this morning, I'll be going around to Palm Square too. Maybe I will find something suitable too.