Tuesday, April 1, 2008

TrailBlazers Hunt—Rotating Treasure

Yesterday, before my friend sent me the complete Q&A of the TrialBlazers Hunt, he sent me a treasure clue without the solution. He asked for my opinion on what the treasure might be. Here is the clue:

... went up the hill to fetch a pail of water...

To tumble a rapid rotation of a top will give you the exact treasure.

In my opinion, the first line is a give-away clue. It refers to the brandname: Jack & Jill. It is especially obvious to me because I used a similar line in one of my treasure clues in the Sutera last year. The real challenge is the second line of the clue.

When I saw the above clue, the first thing that came across my mind was the Roller Coaster. I can't really remember what was it, but I knew that there was such a product, because as I said I've set a treasure question on the Jack & Jill before. Roller Coaster seemed to fit in a loose way. After all in a way it involves some sort of "tumble" and "rapid rotation". But I quickly dismissed that answer. I did not believe that the CoC would come up with something like that—not when there're so many masters in the field (I was thinking like that before I saw the question which asked for a place to queue up, answer of which was Perhentian Teksi).

Anyway, after I rejected Roller Coaster, I saw fairly quickly the first word "To" in that sentence; and then "a top". And almost immediately I saw POTATO in my mind. Again I knew that there's a POTATO for the Jack & Jill. But if that was the case, then I would require TWO anagram indicators to support the idea; I found them in the words "tumble" and "rotation". But I was not fully satisfied for reasons which I shall elaborate further shortly. All these lines of thoughts took place while I was working from the confines of my office. But of course there's a whole load of other products by Jack & Jill; so I was constantly reminding myself of other possibilities.

However, without being in the supermarket, it's difficult to guess. At any rate, perhaps it's reasonable to guess something to do with "rotation of a top", e.g. gasing, pusing, turn etc. Maybe the name of the product is a rearrangement of the letters found in any one of those words. But first let's investigate the suitability of the POTATO for a bit.

Unfortunately, if POTATO was the intended answer, I wouldn't have been satisfied. I think to combine the "To" at the beginning of the sentence together with the "a top" by an anagram operation is not only inaccurate, but in fact wrong! It would have been different had the question been constructed like this:

Tumble a top to result in the required treasure.

In such a case, the "tumble" is the anagram indicator; and the "a top to" can be rearranged to become POTATO.

But in our present case, the "To" is separated from the "a top" by several words. Therefore, one would need to treat these separated words as independent components within the same clue. To anagram separate components, one would require separate anagram indicators. We are able to do that here by adopting "tumble" for "To"; and "rotation" for "a top". BUT! they are still independent components, and we can't simply throw them into a single pot to blend into POTATO. At best, we might be able to join these separate components by means of the charade operation to arrive at, say, OT+OTPA; but certainly not POTATO. For this reason, in my opinion, POTATO loses by force. That's why I was not convinced with my own answer!

In the end, I was supplied with the intended answer, which was some sort of chocolates named NIPS. Now the whole thing becomes clear. The CoC had intended the "tumble" as an anagram indicator; and then to take "a rapid rotation of a top" to be equated to the word SPIN. When simplified, the sentence would become "Tumble SPIN... will give you the exact treasure." The letters found in SPIN, when rearranged, can result in NIPS. I can live with this solution, although I would prefer to do without the "To" at the beginning of the sentence. And I doubt that I would include the words "of a top" in that sentence, because I think they're not entirely necessary. In the end, perhaps the clue would become something like this:

Tumble a rapid rotation to give the exact treasure.

Having said that, however, I can accept the presence of those words in the clue on grounds of personal style and taste of the CoC.

The only other thing I would do differently is perhaps to give additional clue (s) so as to narrow down the scope of search a little bit. But that is up to the CoC. He might consider it absolutely fair on his part to do without that extra clue (s).

2 comments:

May Ching said...

Hi - We participated in the hunt and had EXACTLY the same train of thoughts with regards to this treasure. It was so humiliating to find that others snapped up this answer easily and we seem to have over think the answer and jumped to the potato hunch, what more with roller coaster in mind. I do think it was not a red herring and genuinely not very accurate. But it was good to find out that we were not the only ones who could've made this mistake, it is in fact, a possible tricky answer, hence leaving us a bit of hope that we are not really just imagining things ourselves and have some chances of getting out of this perpetual novice loop (after hunting for a year+!). Yes, definitely learn something from your ever detail analysis.

Cornelius said...

Hi May Ching,

It seems that treasure hunt is an ever-evolving sport; and as the sport evolves, we hunters also need to evolve accordingly. But no matter what the sport is transforming into, being meticulous is an essential quality to be a good hunter. Unless if time is not permitting, it is a good habit to analyse thoroughly.

There was once when I was faced with a treasure clue which consisted of a picture of a mother cat carrying, i.e. biting the nape of, its kitten. The clue appeared so straightforward and it didn't take me very long to make up my mind that it's the Kit-Kat chocolate bar. It is so easy to "relax" when you least expect a finer twist in the clue. So you can imagine how I felt when later it was revealed that the CoC wanted Kit-Kat with the word "Bites" printed on the wrapping.

Anyway, I am pleased to know that you have learned something from my posts. However, please feel free to raise an objection if you find any errors or omissions. As I've said before, we can all learn from each other.