Monday, February 18, 2008

Surviving Bladder Infection?

About a week ago, I posted an article entitled Doctor's Challenge. In it I told the story of my sister-in-law who was sick. At the end of that article, I invited suggestions, mainly from doctors. Unfortunately, no one responded. Perhaps it's prudent to simply wait for the solution. Well, it's time that I tell the remaining part of the story. I must finish the story, because one of these days, one of you ladies out there might just end up with the same symptoms, and might lose your life because of late diagnosis.

In the end, my sister-in-law went to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital to seek help in the early evening. She could barely withstand the pain. My brother had to help her out of bed and all the way down the 4 storey apartment to the car. Upon reaching the hospital, the doctors carried out a series of tests, gave her some painkillers and told her to go home.

But shortly after midnight, the pain was getting worse. So my brother brought her back to the same hospital and insisted the doctors do a scan. And finally they found the problem. Ectopic pregnancy which had by then ruptured the left fallopian tube. A few more hours' delay could have cost her her life. All the symptoms indicated ectopic pregnancy, yet it was not detected until almost too late. I find it amazing.

The doctors rushed with the operation in the wee hours of the morning, and then the problem was gone. She's recovering well.

So ladies, if you have the symptoms which I have described earlier, suggest to the doctor that you might have ectopic pregnancy. Doctors are people too. You might find it surprising, but some of them work too slow, if you know what I mean.

No comments: