Friday, February 22, 2008

Bad Start

Well, Chap Goh Mei has just passed. It's been quite a bad start for me as far as the Year of the Rat is concerned. I lost RM326 after 3 sessions of mahjong over 3 consecutive nights. I hardly ever lose—not after averaging 3 sessions.

I meant to win back my money on the following weekends. Unfortunately, my step-mother had a stroke and was hospitalised for about a week. Her right limbs suddenly went dead, and she spent the days on the hospital bed. The doctors tried feeding her through the mouth, but she started coughing. So in the end, the doctors decided to feed her through a tube. Anyway, there goes one of my most loyal kaki, so I was unable to win back my money—at least not so soon.

However, after a few days in the hospital, my step-mother was able to move the fingers on her hand. And then soon after that, she was able to grip with those fingers. Two days ago, she was discharged from the hospital; and the following morning she was able to lift her forearm. It seems quite promising that she'll be able to regain the use of her right arm soon. Sadly, she still can't move her leg.

Well, might as well, because I will be busy treasure-hunting this Sunday, so there won't be mahjong. It will be a major challenge for us Sabahan hunters, as I was told that about 4 to 5 elite teams will be coming from KL. I suppose that means we will be vying for the 6th place onwards? Furthermore, it's been raining practically everyday over the last couple of weeks, so we can foresee a wet, wet, wet hunt this Sunday. There will be a lot to report after the hunt.

Coming back to my step-mother, perhaps she will need that amount of time to regain the use of her arm. Not that I am trying to torture the old lady, but hey, the doctor ordered her to exercise her arm as much as possible; so what better way to do it than playing mahjong? That's a few hours of solid pyshio!

And next Sunday will be the KK City run—a modest distance of 4 km around the city. My partner will be running that day, so I thought it's only right that I run too. Besides, some of the young guys in the office will be running. We must keep the tradition of beating those young guys in the office, you see. But as I was saying, it's been a bad start for me this year. So I won't be surprised if I come in last during the run. I sure as hell won't let that happen without a fight!

More bad news for me this year. My dog, boomer, has fallen sick. I've had him for a little over 10 years now. I invested a lot of time to train him myself while I was in Brunei. Then when I moved back to KK about 5 years ago, I brought him all the way back with me in my Pajero through Limbang, Lawas, Sipitang, Beaufort and all the way to KK. According to the vet, he's reached more or less his full lifespan. He's growing weak each day, and the vet said we might have to put him down by next week. Poor Boomer, he's been a good buddy all these years. A sad ending for such a loyal dog.

Well, I hope my fortune will change soon. Who knows, getting a good position in the KK City Tourism Treasure Hunt would be nice. Stay tuned for the report soon!

No comments: