Sunday, May 3, 2009

Uphill Task

Since running the half marathon in Singapore last December, I've been doing mostly short runs of 5km to 10km over the last couple of months. I got carried away last year and injured my ankle. So I decided to go easy this year.

However, it's now time to embark on a serious training programme for the coming Borneo International Marathon 2 which will be held on October 11. Now is a good time to start building up on my distance again, since I have enough time to gradually increase on the long runs during the weekends.

I thought it'd be a good idea to do my first 15km in a while on Friday which was a public holiday. But of course as Murphy's Law would have it, when I woke up in the wee hours of the morning, it was raining. We haven't had any rain for a while now, and it just had to happen on the very morning when I had planned to go running. So I had to postpone it to yesterday (Saturday).

When I woke up on Saturday morning, again it was raining. Since I was already awaken, I went to the wet market to buy some fresh fish instead. I haven't been to the wet market for ages now. Might as well, because I'm beginning to get sick of eating chicken all the time.

Anyway, I was determined to do my run one way or another, so instead of going first thing in the morning, I decided to beat Murphy's Law and went in the evening. I reached the jogging track and started running at around 6:00pm. The sun sets around 6:15pm to 6:30pm here in KK.

Somehow the first 3km felt like hell—I felt so exhausted and tempted to stop. After that first 3km, I stopped for a few seconds for a drink. Then I continued again, running very slowly. As it was getting dark, people were leaving and very soon there were only a few of us freak runners there, running in the dark.

I kept stopping to drink every few kilometres, and soon I realised that I was the only one running in the dark; quite a spooky feeling. So good to be a man—not such a good idea for women to run in the dark like that.

Well, I completed the intended 15km in the end. Surprisingly, I felt that I had a bit of extra energy to continue running had I wanted to. It's not easy; in fact I was struggling all the way, but I could've continued another kilometre or two. But I decided not to push it. Last week I did 13.5 km on the treadmill in the gym. So 15 km for this week should be just nice. Next week will be a "step back" to 13.5km again before the gradual climb to 15km, 17km and 19km.

Still a very, very long way from the target of 42km for the October marathon. Frankly, I really don't know how I'm gonna achieve that 42km when I'm struggling to finish even the 15km. In fact, I can't imagine how I managed the 25km across Penang Bridge last November.

I woke up this morning feeling very hungry. My legs are sore up to now. But at least my ankle is holding steady—so far there is no pain, so I guess that's a good sign.

I frequently bump into Dr Liaw at the jogging track (he's doing the full marathon in October too; as well as in Singapore.) He's such a hard-working runner. He failed in his attempt to finish the full course in under 4 hours last year. That in itself was a surprising result because he's such a strong and fast runner. When I was training for my half marathon last year, I once ran at his pace for about 7km at about 5 min/km, but after that I had to admit defeat; too fast for this old man, I guess. It's good to be young and active. I see he's starting his training much earlier this year. I'm sure he's gonna do well.

As for Teo, I don't know what's he been up to. He mentioned running a few kilometres on the treadmills every now and then. And he's gonna go for a second attempt of the full marathon this October (sadly, he was unable to finish last year with 7 km to the finish line). He's a young man, of course; tall and with the advantage of longer legs. But, y'know, if he doesn't start doing some training soon, he's at risk of falling short of the 42km again this year!

Well, a little under 6 months to build up on my distance. Plenty of time to improve, but also plenty of time to become lazy again. But even if I somehow have the discipline to train religiously, I foresee it's gonna be an uphill task to complete the 42km. Not my habit to give up though, so 42km it is—bring it on!

9 comments:

kkchai said...

NB Pacesetters 15Km Run is on 17/5/09 and Mike Pang's Lions' Club hunt on 16/5/09, why not drop by KL and do both that weekend. It will be worth your while. I'll be in for the run but not the hunt, hope to see you then.

Cornelius said...

Thanks, KK, for the invitation. Actually, I meant to join Mike's hunt, especially since I missed the recent one by him. I was choosing between Mike's hunt and the Kiwanis, but not both. I didn't do too well in Mike's Beautiful Gate hunt ages ago, and I wanted so much to try again. Unfortunately, I forgot that I have committed to attend a fellow Rotarian's reception for his daughter's wedding in the evening of the 16th.

So now I'm back to the Kiwanis again after all. Might as well, because I haven't been to Johor (never had a reason to visit Johor before this). So if HRU wants to win the Kiwanis at all, I don't mind you winning it this year when I am a passenger!... HAHAHA! Let's just hope we won't get "terrifying beings" and "swan" again this year, hmmm?

Anonymous said...

You run! Me Too! I am training for a marathon (26.2 miles)in October also =)

How is the running in Malaysia? It is so humid and hot! You must prefer early mornings?

I am so happy to read about marathons and runners in Msia!

I plan to keep pursuing my running while living there :)

Cornelius said...

Ah! What a small world this is, Sarah!

Before you get the wrong idea, I'm not really an experienced runner - at least not running in the marathons. I've been running for years now, but only very short distances of a few kilometres per run; say 2 -3 times per week.

However last year, for the first time in over 20 years, we had our very first Borneo International Marathon here in KK. So I decided to train for the 10km. Later on, because of the encouragement of some friends, I ran the half marathon instead. After that I went on to run the 25km in Penang and another half marathon in Singapore. But this year I want to attempt my very first full marathon in October.

Yes, the weather in this part of the world is hot and humid. The marathons in this region have always been dominated by the Kenyans. Well, OK, the 21-year old Kenyan won the '08 Olympic marathon too. And yes, I prefer to run in the morning. But the trouble is that runners have to start very early for the long runs. Assuming an average 2 hours for 20km, the run should ideally start at about 5am in KK. Daylight starts at around 6 am here and by 6:30am it's already very bright. The heat builds up rapidly beyond 7:00am. The same situation in West Malaysia except that they get the heat about 30 mins to 60 mins later than us.

Therefore, when training for the full 42km, the long runs will eventually start at around 3am - 4am; and possibly even earlier if you're a slow runner! Otherwise you're gonna get caught in the heat. And trust me, when I say "heat" I mean it's really hot!

My friend, KK Chai, has been running for years, and he's collecting running medals. He travels all over this region to run. We have many freak runners like him (I'm not one of them!).

And if you're an avid runner, you need not worry - there are many runs organised throughout the year; 10k, 15k, 20k, full marathons, you name it!... run till you drop! But of course try not to drop when you run... we don't want to get into the front pages of the papers for the wrong reason, hmmm?

teo said...

Hi Corny, yup I have started running again plus weight trainings and some time in the pool too. My target this year...same as last year, just to complete the 42km within the given time. No under 4hrs yet as wat Dr Liaw is targeting.

Hey, I did mentioned that Dr. Liaw has spoken about Singapore Marathon 09, why not we go in group? Would be fun right? I have got Kevin, which may be going too. So I would vote you as our group organiser since you have participated b4 last year. C u in the Tembak Hunt this Sat.

Cornelius said...

teo,

Glad to hear that you've started training again. Hopefully we will all finish the 42km this year. At this stage it's still too early to set a target since I don't even know if I will ever be able to cover that distance. However, I'd be very pleased if I can do it within 4:30 - 5 hrs, which I think is a very modest ambition for a first timer. Of course anything faster than that is a bonus.

I bumped into Kevin regularly at the track - in fact he was there again yesterday evening. He is into his final preparation for the Standard Chartered KL Marathon.

Mia and I will be running the Singapore Marathon again this year. I spoke to Dr Liaw about going in a group. He said he's doing the full marathon in Singapore. Mia and I will probably still do the half marathon, and if possible I want to improve on my previous time.

Not too sure I'd make a suitable organiser though. I don't really know my way around in Singapore! But the good thing is that it's so easy to find one's way around - they have very good transportation system; buses, trains, cabs. I took the simplest means - just get into a cab and name the destination, and the driver will do the rest. So not really a big problem.

Shan said...

Hi Corn, good to hear you're getting into your training. Look out for me on registration days and race day itself. Will be volunteering :)

Cornelius said...

Sure, Shan, I'll be looking forward to see you again during the registration - perhaps you'd have grown even longer hair by then?

Listen, Shan, if the BIM2 is too soon, you should at least consider running in the BIM3. It's a very rewarding experience. And while training for it, you'll also have very good reasons to cut down on those drinking sessions? And while you're at it, tag Yo along; she'll thank you one of these days!

Shan said...

Cut down the drinking sessions Corn?
It'll be a cold day in hell when that happens my friend :D After work beers keep me sane hehe.

But a good idea (BIM 3, NOT cutting down on beer) nonetheless.