Friday, September 18, 2009

A Short Visit To Sandakan

It must have been almost 20 years ago since the last time I visited Sandakan. Two years ago, when I drove to Lahad Datu, I think we did pass Sandakan. But that's not really counted as a visit—merely passing.

Well, yesterday I had to make a business visit to Sandakan. I took the first MAS flight, i.e. Fokker 50. It was ages ago when I was in a Fokker, but I can't remember it as such a claustrophobic plane. If I'm not mistaken, years ago it used to be a free-seating arrangement. Yesterday, however, passengers were given fixed seats. I did not bother to choose my seat, since I reckoned what difference would it make for a 50-minute flight anyway? Well, I was given Seat 14F. When I got onto the plane, I found that Seat 14F was right at the back of the plane, of which the back rest was fixed since there was a wall behind it. During the flight, I went to the toilet, and it's extremely small, there's hardly any space to move in it!

Sandakan airport is such a quiet airport. I don't know if it's just a coincidence, but I'm not sure if they have even 10 flights coming in and out in a day! There is now a new highway from the airport leading to the town centre. The cab driver spoke Cantonese with me at first. And I had to apologise; that I can't do Cantonese. Sandakan is mainly Cantonese, you see. But then luckily the cabbie also knew Hakka, so that was a relief. Along the way there were plenty of slump houses on stilts on both sides of the highway. The only other place I remember seeing so many such houses was across the river in Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei.

Our office in Sandakan is located on the 6th floor of Wisma Khoo Siak Chew. When I reached the office, there were already many cases waiting for me. Since I had already fixed my flight back to KK in the evening, I had to finish the job somehow. So it was quite a busy day.

During lunch break, I went across the road to a restaurant known as Nan Cun for the supposedly famous chicken rice. But to be quite honest, I found nothing special in the chicken rice. I thought it's just the same as those found in many shops in KK. However, while I was making my order, I saw the neighbouring table had steamed fish. Not very big, perhaps about 300g-400g. I thought that looked good, so I ordered that too. On top of that, I also ordered some sort of herbal soup which was black in colour and some chicken feet in it. So I had a plate of chicken rice, the steamed fish, the herbal soup, and a glass of plain cold water, all for RM10. Perhaps in KK a similar meal would cost at least RM15.

I spent the entire afternoon catching up with work in the office and was barely able to clear the desk at 5pm. I was not in the mood for sight-seeing, so shortly after I left the office, I decided I might as well go straight to the airport. I got into a cab and we started off for the airport. The cabbie was quick to share with me about his job. By then I have the impression that the cabbies in Sandakan enjoy talking to their passengers.

Life as a cabbie in Sandakan, according to him, is very, very tough. Apart from competing with many cabs and mini buses, they also have to compete with teksi sapu. He said teksi sapu are all over the town. Teksi sapu don't need to pay for the licences, so they can charge lesser. But then again, I don't think I will support those teksi sapu even if they're cheaper.

Recently there's been talks that the cab rates will be raised. Yet there hasn't been a clear-cut formula on how they're gonna control teksi sapu in Sandakan. Meanwhile, in anticipation of the revised rates, all the metres will have to be changed to a new one which will cost RM1,400 each. I bet only one appointed company can supply and install those metres.

I arrived at the airport at about a quarter to six; plenty of time before my flight which was at 7:30pm. So I had dinner at the restaurant on the upper floor. I really don't know how the business can survive with such a small crowd.

There was a short customary delay, but we eventually started out from Sandakan at about 7:45pm, this time in the ATR 72-500 (I hope I remember this correctly), which was similar to the Fokker, only more modern looking.

What an exhausting day. But I must make it a point to really visit Sandakan again one of these days; perhaps visit one of the islands, provided of course, if someone can assure me that I won't end up in the Southern Phillipines and get my head chopped off.

Come to think of it, it's quite amazing that over the last 20 years, I've been to the States, Canada, Korea, England and Paris etc; yet I haven't even been to Sandakan again! I must try to coinvince Mia to overcome her phobia of Sandakan town. That should be a good project for 2010!


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why not do a hunt in Sandakan?

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, and one of the stones is there.

Cornelius said...

Yes, that is a good idea. But the only problem is the distance from KK. I doubt that I'm willing to take the bus all the way to Sandakan. So it has to be the plane. But that will cost quite a lot. Then I will need to go there twice - once for the recce, and another time for the actual event. Ideally I need to spend at least 2 days uninterrupted to cover the area, since I'm not well-versed with the road system in Sandakan.

So if we take into account the air tickets, hotel, transportation, as well as time and efforts, the cost can be quite high.

I spoke to a friend recently about setting a hunt in Sandakan, of which we mentioned a minimum of RM5,000 to cover cost for CoC from KK. And that is only for CoC. We are not even factoring profit element yet.

The rest, e.g. promoting the hunt etc will have to be handled by other people.

So you can see how difficult it is to organise a hunt in Sandakan. Perhaps someone should convince the member of De StoneS to try setting hunt. I'm sure some of us from KK would actually fly over to support his hunt!

mcc said...

You are right, Corn. S'kan here we come......all in the good name of 'hunting'....hahaha.

scute said...

We need to hunt with a car, so we can actually drive over.

Maybe get one of those rich palm oil companies to sponsor a CoC? The DCM and Minister of Sports is also from Sandakan and if you have the right cable, maybe can ask for a sponsor through him. RM5,000 is nothing for a palm oil giant.

My team is in if you ever do one in Sandakan. 1 secured, 19 to go!Sandakan Challenge Series 1!

Cornelius said...

mcc,

If indeed there's a hunt in Sandakan, I'm fairly certain that at least a few regular teams from KK would join. My own team would be there!

scute,

Yes, if we're hunting in Sandakan, it would be best to drive over. After all, it's just a 7-hour drive. And we can also stop by Kundasang, Hot Spring etc for the fun of it! Someone should propose to the many oil palm companies or even to the Sandakan Municipal Council to organise hunt. It would be something for the Sandakan folks to look forward to every year!

scute said...

Cornelius,

The rain spoilt my plans to run today.

Hei, how do you come up with RM5,000? I estimate RM1,000 would be more likely. RM600 for two airtickets (one for setting questions and one for conducting the hunt), RM300 for two nights hotel, and RM100 for 10 meals of chicken rice.

Cornelius said...

scute,

That's why it's a bad idea to run in the evening. It always rains in the evenings, especially when approaching the final quarter of the year! We did our runs first thing this morning. I was the first to arrive in Likas at 4:30am. Shortly after that, the SMC doctors arrived too. Teo was there too; he completed 32km. It was extremely punishing, but today I conquered 35km. Not very proud of my time though... it took me 3hrs 51mins! Not to worry, scute, still tomorrow and the day after to make up to it.

HAHAHA! RM5,000 was just an estimate lah. Don't you play-play, last Thursday, I spent RM390 return on MAS. If it were me, I will need to tag along at least one (if not two) of my team members to help me out. When organising the KK City Hunt, TOS brought along some of their own people too. I can't really trust outsiders as far as not leaking out the questions!

The cab from the airport into town was RM26.50 via coupon system. But town to airport was RM20 only.

I don't intend to eat chicken rice throughout when I'm there, thank you!

Hotel, I think we should estimate at least 3 nights. Overnight for recce; and 2 nights during actual event. It may not come to that, but we still need to count on that basis.

I think there is also a need to allocate for car rental. Assuming RM150-RM200 per day (I really have no idea what's the actual rate in Sandakan), we will need a car for at least 3 days total.

And finally, I did say for "time and efforts". I don't know if I'm willing to just use up my precious weekends without getting my time compensated. Even in the coming KK Challenge 5, I'm setting aside an amount for this. Not much lah, just a bit. To be honest, I'd rather hunt. But I want to keep my KK Challenge series going for as long as I can.

Well, as I said, RM5,000 is just an estimate. I certainly wouldn't do it for RM1,000. I'd rather spend that amount to hunt in Sandakan, even if I end up winning nothing. However, I'd reckon that an event organiser would be involved. And he would want to make profit out of this!

Cornelius said...

Wow! Hold your horses, folks! There is no hunt planned for Sandakan yet at this time! So don't get overly excited. Those of you who texted me for more info on the hunt, I'm afraid there is no info... because there is simply none!... HAHAHA!

Let me focus on my coming KK Challenge 5 first. And then the ISM hunt after that. After these 2 hunts, then we should get Tan, the Sandakan boy, to look into organising a hunt in Sandakan.

teo said...

Corny,

It has been ages since we took part in an outstation hunt. The only two outstation hunts I ever did were the Kiwanis Hunt in Kudat & Kundasang. I must say it was fun, not only for the hunt, we were also able to do some ice breaking activities too with other teams. It was the Kundasang Hunt in which we meet CK and he is one of De StoneS now.

KK-Kundasang-Skan might not be feasible due to the distance & duration. But should someone DARE to organise it at the right time, I guess my team wont miss it.

KK-Kgau-Tenom or KK-K.Penyu-Beauford would be ideal....so I am expecting a KK Oustation Challenge Hunt soon right Corny?

Cornelius said...

teo,

How ambitious! Unfortunately, we all have full time jobs. I don't know if Alvin/Bernard would want to set outstation hunts, but as for me, I'd say it won't be very easy.

However, of those possible options you have mentioned, if ever I do one, I'm more favourable to set a KK-Kundasang-Ranau or KK-Beaufort. I think it would be fun. But of course it would be even more fun if I get to hunt instead of setting the hunt myself!

The thing about outstation hunts is that they're substantially more expensive than a KK hunt. On the part of the hunters, there will be cost implications in terms of hotel rooms and extra fuel expenses. And unfortunately KK hunters are not generally willing to spend that kind of money for treasure hunts. Either not willing to spend, or can't afford it. And when the crowd is too small, then we can't get the bulk discount. And everything becomes expensive.

On the part of the CoC, more things to arrange. Hotel accommodations, the recce and tulips - all these require so much more time.

So, teo, let's just concentrate on local KK hunts for the moment, shall we?... hehehe. We're already making history this year by having the most hunts. But of course "most hunts" means 5 (with my KK Challenge 5) so far. Once the 6th hunt is confirmed, I'll make the announcement here.

scute said...

Cornelius, you mentioned something about ISM Hunt. Care to elaborate?

Cornelius said...

scute,

As far as the ISM Hunt is concerned, two dates have been chosen, i.e. either in December or January next year.

Mr & Mrs Bernard Liew and myself will co-clerk this hunt.

I think they should be able to decide on the exact date shortly after the Raya holidays. I thought December would be nice, but I'm not sure if the committee members are fast enough to run all the errands, i.e. solicit sponsors, get venues etc.

The ISM Hunt is not intended to be anything like my KK Challenge series. It will be of beginner's standard where most of the questions will be easy to moderate. Only very few tough questions. Essentially, it means hunters can expect several ties at the top; one silly mistake can affect the position by several rungs etc. And trust me, those mistakes will happen!

It's the kind of hunt where the new teams would enjoy because they will be able to score quite close to the regular teams. It gives them that feel good achievement. In fact, if they're lucky, they might even beat a few regular teams. That has happened before. So I would expect a fair number of new teams in this hunt. Make sure you won't miss it, scute!

Anonymous said...

Hey Cornelius,

This comment doesn't have anything to do with your post, actually I need some advice concerning running.

Do you carry water and energy bars with you during your marathons?

Cornelius said...

Sarah,

I've only covered 25km in an actual marathon before this; and 2 other 21km. In all these runs, I did not have anything on me. I depended totally on the water and isotonic drinks at the numerous stations they had along the respective courses.

During my trainings, I have covered 35km so far, of which I did not run with water/energy bars etc. But I placed my drinks on a bench and stopped to rehydrate every 5km.

I've noticed that some runners actually had water or other drinks on them for marathons, but I didn't think that's a very good idea. I would do that if the organiser did not provide drinks along the course, but they usually do.

In the marathon I'm joining in a few weeks' time, I was given to understand that bananas will be provided beyond the 20km point for the full marathoners. So for the sake of doing without the extra weights, I've made up my mind not to bring anything on me, except, maybe, just an energy gel as a back-up.

Having said that, however, just to share with you, when I ran the Penang Bridge Marathon last year, I felt that the organiser did a bad job at the water stations. No proper cups - runners drank directly from huge bottles or fetched water from a big pail with their own sweaty hands. But since I was practically dying of thirst then, I had no choice but to drink those water anyway. So just in case you're wondering, no, I'm not running the Penang Bridge again this year. My friend, KK Chai, had a bottle of water on him during the Penang Marathon. But I doubt that that small bottle was enough for the entire 25km. I can only guess that he, too, drank some of those water provided by the organiser.

Obviously, I haven't been really helpful with my limited experience. Hope everything is going well with your training, Sarah. Wishing you all the best!

Cornelius said...

HAHAHA! To the friend who texted me shortly ago, when I said "I did not have anything on me", I meant not having water, energy bars and the likes of those. But I still had my running clothes on, thank you!

Anonymous said...

LOL @ your friends text!

Ok, thanks so much.. I think they will have water stations so I will just rely on that. Maybe buy a couple energy bars just in case...