Monday, September 7, 2009

Playing Safe

In this part of the world, people talk loudly in the coffee shops. And sometimes, one can't help from listening to the conversation at the next table. That was what happened in a coffee shop one weekend—the guys at the next table were telling a joke about Filipinos. And that's not the first time I heard that joke too.

The joke was something like this:

When you see one Filipino is a boat, you are seeing a fisherman. But when you see ten of them in a boat, you're seeing a bunch of pirates.

The kind of joke which is very mean. It is unfair to label all of the Filipinos as bad people. In any race, there will be good and bad people. It is sad that the good Filipinos are perceived as bad people because of the acts of some of them.

The Filipinos in Sabah are mostly from the Southern Philippines. They're generally known to us Sabahans as the Suluks. But if you bumped into any of them in the street and asked them what's their race, ten to one they will say that they're Bajaus. The reason is simple—the Suluks are known to be criminals. Not all of them, of course, but many of them are.

A couple of years ago, a young teenage schoolboy was stabbed to death near the central wet market by two of them. Reportedly, they demanded RM1 from the boy, but the boy refused. So they stabbed him. All this happened in broad daylight in front of so many people. And the disturbing thing is that no one was brave enough to help the poor kid.

In another incident, a woman was also stabbed to death in a parking lot in SEDCO area because the Filipino guy wanted her purse. Her young teenage daughter who was together with her in the car, tried to block the attack, but got her finger cut off instead. The daughter went through a long surgery to reattach her finger and she survived the ordeal.

When I was a small boy, I went to an amusement centre together with my brother, Dennis, one day. A bunch of Suluks crowded around him and pulled his gold chain which my mom was silly enough to let him put on that day. I shouted for help but the Suluk slapped me real hard on my left cheek. The security guard on duty that day did not dare to move a muscle. He merely watched from a distance.

Mia also had her own experience when she was in Sandakan for a few weeks some years ago. She was coming home from grocery shopping. It was about 6pm in the evening. Apparently, the Suluk had been eying her for several days. But because of his strange behaviour, Mia could sense that he had bad intention. So she started running, and the fellow chased after her. Along that housing estate road, Mia ran while shouting as loud as she could. Many people were watching from inside their respective houses, but none dared to come out to help. The man finally caught up with Mia, pushed her down to the ground, and then struggled with her. He tried to stab her with a pocket knife, and cut her earlobe in the process. But in the end, he managed to grab her necklace.

We have so many more such incidents here in Sabah. The Suluks are known to do those kind of stuff. And it happens quite frequently too.

As I said earlier, there are good Suluks too. In fact, I'm convinced that there're many of them. But how do we Sabahans tell the difference—which are the good ones and which are the bad ones? These are not just people who commit petty crimes like stealing money or simple con jobs—they kill too! I am—let me say it truthfully—scared of these people!

Over the years, many of them have managed to get Malaysian citizenship. How they got it, only God knows. Well, OK, maybe some of those folks in the Immigration office have a better idea, I don't know. But these people multiply much faster than the average Sabahans. I dread to imagine the Sabahan population of Suluk origin in a few decades from now.

I'm sure most Sabahans are convinced that there are many Suluks out there who're good decent people and trying very hard to earn a decent living. But we just can't tell them apart. If we are lucky and get to know them very well, then they can end up becoming our friends too. In fact I have many Suluk friends. But of those who we don't really know, the general attitude is always to stay away from them. We're not being racists—rather, we just can't take that kind of risk when it comes to our loved ones. In the end, playing safe is still the best policy.


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

on the contrary, this is the definition of racism/prejudice. To take one thing and attribute it to a entire group, creating irrational fears.

It is the same thing with Black people in America. There is an entire generation of Whites fearful and prejudice (many times unknowingly) of Blacks because there is a known stereotype that all blacks are criminals and prone to violence.

It hurts the entire black population because it causes people to fear even those who are "good people"

And that is racism. that is the negative effect racism has. confronting prejudice means confronting that fear.

Cornelius said...

Sarah,

Yes, I have to admit that it amounts to that. Racism is such an ugly word, and I can imagine that if I were a good Suluk, I would really hate to be treated like a criminal!

I have mentioned quite clearly in the above post that we don't necessarily see all of them as criminals. We know that many of them are good people too. We just don't know which one, exactly. What I'm trying to say is that most of us are not willing to take chances to find out the hard way. Hence, playing safe.

I don't know the situation in America with the Blacks. As far as I am concerned, in Sabah, it's not really a case of us seeing all the Suluks as criminals. It's more about playing safe - we're not taking the risk - not when it's about protecting our loved ones.

If we find ourselves alone in a dark alley with a bunch of Indonesians, for example, we don't really feel scared. Same with the other races. But if we're there with a bunch of Suluks, the feeling is different somehow. And we have very good reasons to feel that way too. I know most Sabahans won't admit it, but trust me, Sarah, we are scared of the Suluks.

Cornelius said...

To the friend who asked me in his email, my answer is 'NO', it's not really the same with the Blacks in America.

In Sabah, we try to stay away from the Suluks because we're afraid for our safety. It has nothing to do with their skin colour, or their religion. If we are lucky to get to know some of the good ones, we quite often welcome them readily too. But as far as the ones we don't really know, we're always fearful of them.

In America, it is quite different. The kind of racism is far beyond safety issues. There is a kind of hatred or at the very least, dislike, against the Blacks even if they're known to be "good people", for example, doctors, engineers and other professionals. The dislike/hatred is mainly because of their skin colour, nothing to do with safety at all.

Anonymous said...

i don't think it matters whether it is skin color or "nationality" the concept and treatment is exactly the same. the whole dark alley example you give is the EXACT same example we are given when explaining prejudice against a certain group of people. Race or any other factor is irrelevant, the treatment is the same.

Negative treatment towards a group of people because of a perceived stereotype is prejudice. Racism is a dirty word but it is good to face and acknowledge.

Cornelius said...

You are absolutely correct, Sarah. The treatment is the same - prejudice is prejudice; racism is racism.

However, I think there is a difference if I keep my distance from you because I don't like you for your skin colour vs because I'm afraid you're gonna harm me or my loved ones. No doubt, in both cases, I don't want you to be my friend. But one should at least be given the right to be cautious?

If I were to tell you that I have trained a pack of wolves to the extent that they will never harm humans, even when they're hungry; and I tell you to mingle freely with those wolves, wouln't it be natural for you to have your doubts? If you have a choice, wouldn't you rather stay away from those wolves? You may have nothing against those wolves, really. In fact, you may even support efforts to preserve the wolves' population. But you still would like to stay away from them anyway, because you fear for your life. It's not exactly the same with hating or disliking the wolves because of the colours of their fur? Would you let your child play with the wolves?

Anonymous said...

Hi Cornelius,
Sorry I will not be commenting on this piece "Playing Safe" as it is a subject which I do not like to dwell on.I have always enjoy reading your writings and musings covering a variety of subjects especially those on life's experiences.

However, if you are switching to a new subject I hope and look forward very much to your commenting on a subject which is presently quite "hot" in the national news.

As you can see from today's Daily Express, it is about Section 498 of our Penal Code.The way the law is legislated, "having sex with a married women is not illegal but enticing her away from her husband is".

In brief, it sums up that some of the existing laws in our country are archaic and needs to be reviewed in keeping with the times, changing societies and behavior.
Thanks.

Cornelius said...

Anonymous friend,

I'm fairly surprised that you should bring up this particular issue. In fact, I had an interesting talk with my wife over dinner, and I meant to post something about it.

Anonymous said...

Yes, i would allow my children to play with filipino kids. my children are going to be half filipino. I will make sure to tell them about prejudice people who fear them for no reason and make sure they know all about how people like you think.

I want my children to have a feeling of self worth, and when people avoid them or treat them badly for nothing that they themselves have done, should I explain to them how they are not feared for their skin color, but their criminal ways?

You can come up with any reason you deem suitable for your personal prejudice, but it does not change the nature of the monster.

Cornelius said...

Ah! I knew you'd see it my way, Sarah!

Yes, sometimes reality hurts. And I will also see to it that I tell my JJ that there will be some people who will treat her differently too. And it has nothing to do with what she's done. After all, she has Filipino blood in her too. Like I said, some of them are good ones.

The only thing I'd do differently from you is that I will tell my JJ that people will fear her for a good reason - not for no reason.

Shan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shan said...

*sorry there was a spelling error in my earlier posted comment*

Geez am really sorry to hear what happened to Mia! How awful!!
That can't have been an experience that she will forget anytime soon.

Was talking to my cousin who lives in KL. Apparently things are getting pretty scary on the crime front over there on a regular basis. Crimes committed by a fair number of Malaysians.

Cornelius said...

Yes, Shan, it was a very traumatic experience for Mia. For several weeks after that, she slept holding a pocket knife eventhough she was assured that she's safe in the house.

To be quite honest, I didn't really know what exactly she thought she could do with that tiny knife. But, y'know, if that made her feel safer, and she could sleep more peacefully that way, then what can I say?

Fear is a natural human instinct. And especially if you have had a lousy experience where could've lost your life before, sometimes the fear can haunt you for the rest of your life. Perhaps if people like Sarah had had that kind of traumatic experience in her life before, maybe she could begin to understand why some of us want to play safe.

As a boy of 12 years old, when I was slapped by a Suluk in Segama, I wanted to fight back. But I was just too small then, and there were so many of them. Besides, I reckoned it was not worth losing my life for a miserable gold chain. But at least because of my distraction, my brother, Dennis, was able to escape from their grip - minus the gold chain of course. Both of us ran while they tried to chase us. And I tell you, Shan, it's strange how fast one can run when fearing for one's life!

So I say again, I am scared of the Suluks, even up to now! Honestly, I have tried to overcome my fear of them, but I have failed. If I am seen as a racist because of my fear, then I'm willing to be a racist rather than losing my life.

Regarding the crime rate in KL, yes, things are getting scary indeed. And yes, I heard there're committed by Malaysians. But maybe that's what can happen when you have too many people in a competitive environment. Some of them will be left behind in the race, and the only way they can survive is by committing crimes. And maybe if I were in KL, then I would fear those group of people; I will play safe and stay away from them (if I can help it).

Anonymous said...

Look, my first time being beaten up was by a black kid. He slapped me, kicked me, and pushed me down a hill. The 1st time my car was ever broken into was by a black kid. he stole my cd player and all of my cd's. I found out the next day at school because he sold my cd player to a guy in my class... I was so angry!!!

Not once did I ever blame it on that person's race, or where they came from, not even once!

Some of my best friends growing up were black, and my Dad used to be just like you Cornelius. He would try to keep me from being around black kids because he said he never met a good black person. He would call them niggers and every racial slur you can think of. I HATED my father when i was growing up! He was so ignorant.

Don't ever assume that maybe I would understand if I have been through what you went through, you have no idea what I have been through in my life. I can only judge you by your words and compare it to my own life experiences. My life tells me your thoughts and actions are prejudice and racist, and i am certain, and passionate about it.

My dad saw black men on the news as robbers and murderers and he credited it to the entire race, and I have and always will resent him for his ignorance.

If i thought the way my dad does, and if i would have accepted his "truths" about black people my life would have never been changed in such a positive way by the wonderful black people i have known.

I never would have met my husband or fell in love if i thought the way you do about filipinos.

Don't give your daughter your prejudice, it is wrong. Of course it is right to feel cautious when in a bad neighborhood, or around a large group of rambunctious teenagers, or around people who just hang out in the street, or when walking alone at night, that is natural. But to see a suluk and have those feelings is wrong, and there is no excuse for it, none.

Cornelius said...

Listen, Sarah, we are obviously not gonna come anywhere close to an agreement on this topic (smile).

One of these days, if you are really gonna come and live in Malaysia, I hope you will live in Sabah (which is likely). After a few years (as oppose to a few weeks), tell me again how you feel about the Suluks, is that fair enough?

Claire said...

I admire your personal strength, Sarah. It takes a lot of courage and a strong mind to stand firm for what we truly believe in.

But sometimes life experiences can change one's perception on things.

Anonymous said...

cornelius, you are right, we should stop, and you know how we are :)))

hehehe...

I appreciate the space you give for us to have these discussions though:)

When i move to Sandakan, i will have no choice to live with suluks, because my entire extended family of in-laws are suluks. so there ya go..i love my family, and now you know why this subject is so personal in my life.

I'll let you know ;)

but i am firm in my convictions.

Anonymous said...

claire

thank you for such a compliment, you are very kind.

i know what you are saying about experiences. my fathers experiences are what made him a racist, along with his upbringing in a racist family.

I refuse to be so bitter about life or so uncaring of people.

I am a social worker in my heart, through and through. It is in my nature to stick up for the people no one wants.