Monday, October 20, 2008

Mizuno Wave Run 2008—Padang Merbuk


I was still training for the Borneo International Marathon (BIM) several weeks ago when my friend, KK Chai, told me about the Mizuno Wave Run on 19 October to be held at Padang Merbuk, KL. It's just a 10K run which I thought would be a good recovery run after the gruesome 21K in the BIM.

And so, the 17 October saw me landing in LCCT-KL and checking in to YMCA near KL Sentral Station. Of course I could have flown in on 18 October, but I decided not to change my plan at the last minute. I had originally planned to hunt in the I-Kwan on the 18th, but that hunt was subsequently postponed to next year. To those of you who're not familiar with this hunter, you should know that I have a strange curse when it comes to treasure hunts. Many of those hunts I want to join would almost magically get postponed somehow.

Anyway, Chai and I went to collect our race kits at Padang Merbuk on Saturday morning. Then Chai showed me the route of the run before dropping me off at YMCA again. Instead of spending the afternoon shopping as I had initially planned, I walked the Brickfields streets, pigging out and observing people and strange things there. That night I went to sleep at around midnight. I woke up at 5:30 am and prepared for the run. The Mizuno running vest, adidas shorts and adizero shoes. Then I packed a towel, a big botttle of mineral water and a power bar. Chai came around at 6:45 am and we went straight to Padang Merbuk.

When we reached Padang Merbuk, there were already so many people there. We had to park the car at quite a distance away from the starting line. While walking to the starting line, I made a detour to a nearby toilet. That's when I got separated from Chai. I followed the crowd and found my way to the starting line. Then a figure came running from amongst the crowd. It was one of the regular readers of this blog. We spoke briefly to each other, and then I made my way further up nearer to the starting line, but without much success because of the large crowd.

A short wait and then it was the starting horn. The crowd began to move slowly. It took about a minute before I finally passed the starting line, and a few more seconds before I was able to start running. At the start of the run, we had to go through quite a long, gentle slope, uphill. And then there were plenty more uphills and downhills throughout the route. The last time I experienced the hills was when I ran the DBKK run earlier this year. But that was only for a distance of about 4km.


Photo courtesy of Tey at pmtey.multiply.com. Obviously not my most handsome pose. To be quite honest, I wasn't even aware that this picture was taken. And I also can't remember where exactly this picture was taken, but probably it was during the second half of the run. As I said, it wasn't amusing running while holding on to the bib which had already (partially) fallen off.

It wasn't long before I started feeling the exhaustion building up in my calves. So punishing were the slopes that I had to walk for a few metres 3 times during the run. I also stopped somewhere at midpoint to have some drink. Anyway, one good thing about the hills was the down-going parts. The hills were tiring no doubt, but nothing like the heat that most runners had to endure the week before in the BIM. I was glad to note that the final stretch of about 1km to the finish line was a gradual downhill slope which I took full advantage of to increase my pace. Very soon, I was happy to see Padang Merbuk, which was the finish line of the run.

I therefore ran full speed, knowing that there's no need to preserve any more energy. And then I came to the biggest disappointment of the run. During my training for the BIM on a flat surface, I usually complete 10K within 55-56 minutes. I set a modest target of no more than 1 hour for Mizuno. I was happy that I could make that 1 hour by a margin of only 1 minute. However, upon reaching the finish line, all of the runners had to queue up and wasted 2-3 minutes before we get to step onto the timing mat. How disappointing! In the end, I missed my target by about 2 minutes, but I am still waiting for the organizer to publish the official time.

More disappointment was to come. The organizer had somehow separated the finish line into 2 sections—one for female runners; and another for male runners. But due to the lesser number of female runners, their lane was more or less free-flow. Whereas the male lane got into a bottleneck situation.

After going through the timing mat, runners passed a small desk where a couple of officials were busily keying in the bib numbers of runners. At the same time, others were passing out small cards containing numbers. I was also given a number, but in the commotion, I can only remember that I had 600+. Apparently that was my position in the entire race, but for the benefit of the organizer, let me tell them that by that time, several of the runners have jumped queue. I held that number for only a few seconds before another official took it away from me. Then we were ushered to get into yet another lane. In fact, I later noticed that there were 3 lanes: Open, Junior Veteran, and Senior Veteran lanes. Of course we were ushered to the wrong lane, until I realised (from the bib number) that the Junior Veteran lane was on my left. Well, I moved over to that lane and eventually got the so-called goodie bag which contained my medal. I spent some minutes detaching the timing chip from my shoe and claimed the RM10 deposit at a nearby desk. A few minutes later, I saw Chai arriving at the finish line.

When I ran the Borneo International Marathon a week earlier, so many regular runners from foreign countries were heaping praises to the organizer for a job well done. To be quite honest, I thought it was well organized, yes, but I failed to understand why such a big compliment. Now I understand why.

The Mizuno Wave Run, despite being the 5th one organized, was a far cry from the BIM. I don't understand what's the purpose of the timing chip when runners got to queue up at the end before the respective finish times were captured by the timing mat. The idea should be to capture the time first, and then followed by the other business of checking and counter-checking; not the other way round!

I am not an expert in organizing this kind of events, but perhaps if any of those good people from the Mizuno Wave Run is reading this, I'd like to share how the BIM folks did it at the finish line.

In the BIM, no segregation was made before the finish line. Male and female runners from all categories ran freely over the timing mat. After crossing the finish line, and the finish times captured by the computer, then the runners were segregated into separate lanes which were clearly labelled under the numerous categories. Pictures were also taken upon crossing the finish line, and as soon as the runners got into their allocated lanes, they were given their finishing time written on a piece of paper for counter-checking purposes. At the same time, those in the half and full marathon categories were presented with the medals, hung over the head; not in the goodie bags. No queue whatsoever before the timing mat. The point is that it is OK to have the queue after crossing the finish line, not before. If we have queues before the finish line, there must be something seriously wrong with how the event is organized.

Apart from the injustice where some runners ended up without medals when they deserved them, others who came in late ended up with nothing at all because the organizer ran out of goodie bags due to improper handling of the distribution, thus resulting in some runners getting more than one goodie bags! According to the entry form, everyone should end up getting a goodie bag each.

Although I got a medal, I was just lucky that they did not mess up before it was my turn to cross the finish line. I would have been extremely disappointed if I ended up without even a goodie bag, having travelled such a long way. It would surely have been a lousy first-time experience running in KL!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hei corny,

slightly puzzle!!

the mizuno is a 10K run, while the BIM a 21K run.

10K - As in 10,000 or 10 KILOMETERS??

If 10,000, is it 10,000meters or 10,000kilometers??? (Though very unlikely kilometers, if not impossible)

Is it the runs are ruining your detailing or those were norm terminology in marathon run??

In hunt, can 10K refers to 10 kilometers? Or it should just stands for 10,000!!!

Cornelius said...

peter,

10K or 21K are globally acceptable references to the 10 kilometres and 21 kilometres respectively. Of course it's also possible to use 10km and 21km. And sometimes people would use "quarter marathon" and "half marathon" respectively.
So to answer your question, yes, those are the common terminologies used for those distances. To the marathoners, when you say 10K they will know that you're referring to 10km as oppposed to 10,000 km.

I suppose running has been quite stressful on my body, but my mind is still sound!... hehehe.

On "10K" in treasure hunt questions, I would interpret it as, literally, ten "K"s arranged one after another, like this:

KKKKKKKKKK

OR

1000100010001000100010001000100010001000

OR maybe even something like this:

TENK

There are many ways to interpret, if you know what I mean. I dare say it is possible to interpret "10K" = 10 kilometres, in which case, I think there is a necessity to include a clue that we're talking about running distance; or 10,000 which is the result of 10x1,000.

As you can see there it is quite normal that we may have several possible interpretations of hunt questions. However, bear in mind that those possible interpretations must not be too wide so as to become practically limitless.

To give an example, consider this clue:

terrifying beings

What do you think those are referring to? It is almost limitless. It can be anything at all! Even my mother-in-law can be a terrifying being, expecially when she was trying so hard to explain to me and my wife the "withdrawal" method of family planning years ago. This was because she thought it was a bad idea to use the "pills" method, in spite of the recommendation by a qualified doctor. For a moment, I thought my mother-in-law would go to the extent of demonstrating the "withdrawal" method. Mercifully, she did not. But we wouldn't want to go into that right now, would we? It's almost lunch time now; we don't want to lose our appitite, hmmmm?

Cornelius said...

I forgot to say that we were given a kind of thick paper bib. It wasn't such a good idea because when the sweat gets to the paper, it will get torn easily. It wasn't amusing that I had to run the last 3 km while holding on to the bib on my chest; it wasn't a very confortable way to run!

Anonymous said...

Hi,I am Tey.

Maybe u interest to view the race photos.

My site:

http://pmtey.multiply.com

U need to register as multiply user ,then invite pmtey as your friend,after I accept u,u will able to view my albums,more than 1500 pics,hopefully u r lucky inside my album.If u found u foto,u can download foc.

cheers !

Tey

Cornelius said...

1,500 photos, but I could only find ONE with me in it (unless if I missed some more in my haste at the office). And it was a candid shot too. If I knew someone was taking my picture, I could have at least put up a brave smile or something. Many thanks to Tey for the photo.

Cornelius said...

"I suppose the organisers can get away with the medals allocation decision because we have contradicting rules in the entry form. The top part gives a breakdown of medals allocation, but the in the prizes and medals ruling(11) it is stated that top 5 in each category gets product vouchers and trophies, the first 1300 finishers get the medals and LIMITED EDITION shoebags for the rest. This would also answer your question why those running categories were created."

The above was a comment which I have copied from the "First Anniversary" post. I meant to respond to the anonymous friend's comment, but somehow forgotten about it.

I was telling a friend about the Mizuno when I did the 8K at the jogging track yesterday morning, and he said more or less the same thing to me; that because of the contradicting rules in the entry form, the organizer can get away with it.

That reminded me to write a response to the anonymous friend's comments. OK, let me post this first, and I will comment in a fresh thread.

Cornelius said...

OK, two things I'd like to say about the medal allocations in the Mizuno:

1) On the issue of introduction of additional/amended rules

If the organizer had informed the participants of a certain formula of medal distribution before the participants finalised their participation, the organizer cannot then introduce additional or amended rules on the day of the event, unless the possibility of the same is provided for in the original rules. For example, the organizer clearly reserved the right to cancel the event.

In the landmark case of Olley vs Marlborough Court, although I can't remember the year of this case, it was decided that the contract was formed at the reception desk of the hotel. The notice found on the door of the hotel room was not part of the terms and conditions of that contract. Therefore when the guest lost her belonging which she left in the room, the hotel could not rely on that exclusion clause pasted on the door of the room. There might be exceptions to this rule, of course, but I shall not discuss them here.

2) Contradicting Terms/Rules

In the law of contract, there is this famous principle: contra proferentem (I hope I get the correct spelling).

When there is inconsistency or ambiguity in the contract document, the court is likely to interpret the provisions of that document against the party who created that document. The organizer of Mizuno can't rely on their inconsistency in the medal allocation. It is clearly shown in one part of the entry form that, for example, 150 top finishers in the senior veteran category would get the medal. The partcipants would have a strong case against the organizer in my opinion.

But of course I am not a lawyer. These are just basic contract law that I can remember. Perhaps if there are lawyers reading this, they would like to comment further?

Jimmy Lee said...

Hi,
here is a picture with u in it...

http://www.pacesetters.com.my/photos/81019_mizuno_cwkb/pages/DSC_8017_jpg.htm

Cornelius said...

Thanks, slasher, for going through the pains of scanning through so many pictures to find mine!

And with your help, I have just realised that I don't look very good when I'm running!... HAHAHA.

Anonymous said...

Anyone told you that you look quite the same when not running?? LOL

Cornelius said...

Argh! Thanks for telling me, peter!

Now I know why I've never been any good in attracting women! I'm sure if I had an earring on both ears; a tattoo of, say, "XXX" on my back; smoke Dunhill or Benson, I could be more successful with some girls, huh? And, yes, perhaps if I had a lot of money, that would have helped too!

But I'll keep an eye open for those cameramen when I run in Penang next week. I'll try to give my most handsome smile this time!

Cornelius said...

My friend, KK Chai, wrote to me that the organizer of Mizuno Wave Run had recently published the results of the event at the Pacesetters site. Check it out here:

http://www.pacesetters.com.my/

Now this is a bit embarassing, but you will notice that my time has been reported as 1:07:20, whereas I have mentioned in the above post that I ran just under 1 hour!

I honestly can't explain the big discrepancy. Even if I allowed for the margin of error due to the queue at the end of the run, as well as, possibly, a slight variation between my stopwatch and that of the computer, 7 - 8 minutes are still substantial!

I'm beginning to doubt the accuracy of the timing chip. Perhaps it is not such a foolproof system after all?