Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Formal Complaint

Some years ago, I opened a savings account for JJ in a bank along Jalan Gaya, and because she was then under 12 years old, I had to be her guardian. However, I have since lost her savings passbook. A few weeks ago, I went back to the bank to enquire what should be done, and was advised that I should close that account, and then reopen a new one. But since JJ is now over 12 years old, she can own a savings account independently; there is no need for my name to be there as her guardian. Just that she is required to appear in person to sign some documents, thumb prints etc.

That is a little inconvenient; school is from Monday to Friday. I asked the teller if they're open on Saturdays. He said as a matter of fact, they will start operating on Saturdays beginning from 21 March. So I went to the bank on that date, which was last Saturday, only to find that it was closed!

This afternoon I went to that bank again to investigate if perhaps I understood them wrongly when they said they're going to be open on 21 March. Well, they were supposed to be open on that day, but somehow they weren't. I'm not sure why. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I shared the above on my facebook, and then asked, "What should I do?" 

My cousin replied shortly later, with a suggestion to "put in a formal complaint maybe."

I couldn't help but smile when I saw that suggestion. It's almost like a knee-jerk reaction. I was, like, that is so typical of Malaysians. Elsewhere in this blog, I have posted on the curious favourite national pastime of Malaysians in general—lodging formal complaints. I bet if the chicken crosses the road, many people would react almost instinctively by lodging a police report or some sort of formal complaint, perhaps just for the sake of lodging a police report; because that's what's expected of Malaysians.

Have you ever wondered what would the recipients of all those tons of so-called "formal complaints" do with all those documents? My best guess is maybe file them in an orderly fashion in duly-referenced files and then put them in a huge cabinet somewhere to be forgotten. Then each day perhaps retrieve a couple of those files for reading pleasure?

This reminds me of the time when I myself lodged a police report for my stolen motorbike as posted here. It was a very long time ago, of course, when I had a different idea what police reports are all about. If you are not careful, you may even be in danger of becoming impressed when seeing how these people do their job of recording the reports! 

Let me tell you that the making of formal complaints is almost like a beautiful art. You spend a lot of time making it; and some people spend a lot of time staring at it in admiration. And then in the end, you just hang it on the wall where it shall remain undisturbed for a long time.

That's how things go; get over it.


No comments: