Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Vibram Hong Kong 100 Ultra Trail Race 2013

As I was approaching CP5, which was the midway point of the race, it was already past 10 hours from the flag off. I had just overtaken Dr Liaw going up a hill, but as I was descending to CP5, it was fast getting dark. I stopped for a moment to fix my headlamp.

Dejavu—I was almost exactly at the same location and at the same time about a year ago during my first attempt of the Vibram Hong Kong 100 Ultra Trail Race. That was the time when I failed to bring home the elusive bronze trophy. You see, in order to qualify for the bronze trophy, one has to complete the race within 20 to 24 hours. Last year I finished in about 25:41.

This year we had a bigger group from KK—Mia and I, Dr Felice Huang, Hana Harun, Bobby Tseu, Dr Liaw Yun Haw, Boyd Gimbang, Dr Peter Ong. A Canadian friend, Paul Bourget, also decided to join for the second time.

It was a much larger crowd at the starting line as the number of participants had grown from about 750 last year to over 1,200 this year. Before the flag off, people were busy taking photos.

I bumped into Dr Pui San, a fellow Malaysian from KL, at the starting line and we invited her to join us in this photo.

From left: Mia, Hana, Dr Felice

It was good that Felice was able to make this event, as she could motivate us to push all the way. That's the beauty of having a gynaecologist with us. As for Dr Peter (extreme right of photo), I'm not sure what he's checking on, but I want to put it on record that he wore a pair of 2XU Compression tights for the first time in his life that day. I'm not sure if all the compressions were just right at the right places. I can still remember when I first bought my compression tights a while ago, he shared his opinion about the compression element, as reported here.

After the customary countdown, we were duly flagged off. The first kilometre was a pleasant sealed road, but then we came to a bottleneck up a narrow path. Shortly after the flag off, I turned to Bob, saying that we should try to reach CP5 within 8.5hours. If that could be achieved, then we might have a shot at the silver trophy! Hana was closeby and she gave out a strange surprised cry, but actually she had a silver trophy dream of her own!

As we were all stuck going at snail's pace at the bottleneck, I suddenly noticed that Hana had already sneaked up ahead. And a few minutes later, she was already out of sight! I had estimated that we would be stuck at the bottleneck for about 40 minutes, but it was almost an hour later when we emerged on the other side! By the time I reached the first support station, all the guys in our group were already ahead. Felice and Mia were still behind me, but still quite near.

I arrived at CP1 feeling a bit annoyed with the sand in my shoes (having crossed a beach section). I sat down on a chair and as I was cleaning my shoes, I saw Dr Peter sitting at the next table, apparently also busy ridding his shoes of sand. After dealing with my shoes, I grabbed some food, and while I was biting into a banana, I saw Peter leaving.

There were of course many other participants, but I felt a little lonely without any of my friends. Although I didn't exactly have the luxury of time, I spent just a few moments savouring the beauty of the views along the route (in random order).

By the time I reached CP2, it was clear that there was no way I could reach CP5 within 8.5hours. It was then that I reverted back to my original plan for a bronze trophy. I reckoned that if I tried too hard to aim for the silver, I'd burn out too soon, and that could eventually jeopardize even the bronze!

The rest in my group were still going strong. I was thinking they were probably a mere 10-15 minutes ahead of me at that point. But little did I know that they were much faster than that. Hana was just getting the hang of the trekking poles, and as she was busy pole dancing in the direction of CP3, Peter caught up with her.

In fact, all four of them—Peter, Liaw, Bob and Hana—were racing at more or less the same pace. I have to admit that it was so tempting to rush ahead to keep up with them. A friend of mine, Teo Chen Lung, would throw a big party, I'm sure, if Hana finished the race before me. I was determined not to let him have that satisfaction. But at the same time, I did not want to lose track of my bronze ambition too.

Well, I arrived at CP3 and CP4 without catching a glimpse of them. It was then that I realised that they were farther ahead than I thought. Looking at my watch, I was horrified to note that I would take well over 10 hours before reaching CP5. That's the same amount of time I took to reach the same station last year. It certainly did not seem very promising even for a bronze!

Felice and Mia were still behind me. And I had a feeling that Mia must be about an hour or two behind by then.

But later on, as I was climbing a hill when approaching CP5, I was surprised to bump into Liaw. His trademark cramps had caught up with him by then. Well, we eventually arrived at CP5 just shortly after nightfall. There, I saw Peter and Bob. Hana was also there in fresh clothing and ready to go. They've been there for about an hour when I arrived.

I was just about to start on my cup noodle when Bob said he and Hana would start for CP6. Peter and Liaw, in spite of my telling them to go ahead, insisted that they'd like to start from CP5 together with me. Peter had by then suffered knee pain; Liaw had his cramps; and I had my knee and ankle problem. After popping up a pain killer each, we departed from CP5 about 20 minutes after Bob and Hana. But just as we were about to leave CP5, Felice arrived in her gung-ho fashion.

We were well prepared for the cold. Peter asked me if the second half of the race was gonna be tougher. I replied in the affirmative, and the expression on his face became very grave. I told him to expect plenty of seemingly unending climbs. He responded amicably, saying that "Everything is bound to come to an end eventually." He went on to tell his life story on how that line came about. I just love this guy for his positive thinking attitude.

It was almost 11.5 hours from flag off when we left CP5, and it was obvious to me that I had to make up a lot of time for the bronze. But I wasn't sure then if the energy I had saved during the first half of the race was enough for the feat. I took perhaps 10-15 minutes to fire up my system again. When I felt that I have had enough warming up, I started my brisk walking routine up the long asphalt road. Within minutes Peter and Liaw were out of sight behind me.

I kept a steady pace, except for the ridiculous climb up the unending concrete stairs to the ridge. But actually, Peter was right—the stairs did come to an end eventually! Along the way, I overtook a fair number of participants. Up and down, up and down, and then shortly before arriving at CP6, I finally overtook Hana and Bob for the first time in the race. As I was passing them, I said we needed to pick up the pace for the bronze. Bob agreed, saying that he, too, realised that time was a bit tight.

We grouped up again briefly at CP6. Then I started for CP7. When I left CP6, Peter and Liaw had not arrived yet. The distance to CP7 wasn't very long, but at that stage of the race, every kilometre was a torture. I lost count on how many times I looked at my watch. Thankfully, however, there was a long sector of downhill out from CP7. I took the opportunity for a slow jog, combined with brisk walk intervals. In my mind, I wanted to have between 5.5 to 6 hours cushion to the finish line from CP8. This was because when I reached CP8 last year I had about 3.5hours for bronze, but that proved to be insufficient even though it's just 17km to the finish line!

Out from CP7, I felt very sleepy. But I had no time to spare for a rest, let alone sleep. I merely kept going all out. At CP8, I topped up my bladder (2-litre capacity) for the last time, had a bit more cookies, 2 small kit kats, half a swiss roll, a banana, 2 cups of mushroom soup, and half a cup of coke. It was as good as a full meal. Not exactly a good idea for racing. Throughout the race, I ate small portions of about 300-400 calories at each CP. But according to my plan, CP8 was a little bit different. I needed the extra energy for that final climb. The idea was that if I was lack of time when I reached CP9, I wouldn't even stop for a break. Whatever I ate at CP8 would therefore have to last till the end!

But when I arrived at CP9, I had about 3.5hours for bronze. So another 2 cups of mushroom soup, coke, peanut butter sandwich, and off I went for that final climb to the highest point of Hong Kong. I barely had enough energy to reach the top. It was a slow climb. Foggy and windy. Visibility was down to about 5m. When I hit the flat ground at the top of that sealed road, I had a little over an hour to spare. I knew then that I was safe. I then took my sweet time to walk leisurely for the last 5km or so downhill. A friend from KL came along shortly later, and both of us walked to the finish line together.

I finished in the official time of 23:28. Boyd was there at the finish line. He had finished his race in 21 hours. After I received my bronze trophy, I kept an eye open for Bob and Hana. There was then about half an hour left for the bronze. I was hopeful. Unfortunately, Bob eventually finished in 25:00 and Hana in 25:23.

We weren't sure when the rest would finish, so we took a cab back to the hotel. At the hotel, I was surprised when told that Mia had already checked in earlier. I was worried that she was injured somehow. But she withdrew from the race because she couldn't keep up with the cutoff times. She threw in the towel at CP7. It's never an easy thing to see one's wife suffer. But, you know, after all she's an ex-St Franciscan; she's a stubborn woman. She said she's coming back for another attempt next year.

Well, Liaw finished in about 26 hours; Peter in about 29 hours; Felice in about 30 hours.

 This is the close-up shot of the bronze trophy.

Now, I wonder if there is a way to change the colour of this trophy to silver in 2014...


Pentilium5 said...

congrats...nice medal, i am so going to train for 2014 ;)

Sue's Ramblings said...

Hey, give yourself a pat on the back! It's a grueling race and you did it! BTW, I'm Sue - I was at km37 at the turn off from Hoi An Road to Pak Sha O (1km uphill from CP3). Glad to have finally met you.

Deo said...

Well done Corny! It was a second try, I believe, to bring back the bronze trophy. It was also nice to walk the last stretch with you and getting some comforting words from you that we would finish within 24 hours. Hope to see you again in future races.

Cornelius said...

Thanks, Pentilium5. Are you in KK too? If you are, then we may train together for this event. I'm planning to go again, and hopefully improve on my time. I realise that the silver trophy is kinda far fetched, but I suppose no harm trying!

Cornelius said...

Thanks, Sue Ling. I did not know it was you at first, but when you introduced yourself as "Sue", then I knew. All the while, I thought you're a West Malaysian in KL? Well, always good to find new friends from all over the world! Amazing the power of the internet!

Cornelius said...

Well done and congrats to you too, Deo! By the time you met me towards the last few km of the race, I was already walking leisurely. But before that I was struggling. I'm guessing you have been through more or less the same thing too! hehe

Too dangerous living life hanging by a thread, huh?... hehe. If I can make it again for this event next year, I'm planning to train hard so that I have plenty of time cushion!

Cornelius said...

Now, this is kinda strange, but an Anonymous friend posted a comment here, of which the notification appeared in my email, but somehow it did not appear here. The comment was like this:

"Congratulations, you have outdone yourself again ! My colleague went and got a silver trophy and let me tell you that the color is the same only that plaque is different,if you like you change that and you get yourself a silver trophy and heck you can even make a gold to shiok sendiri :-) But I know you won't.."

Thanks, Anonymous friend. Hmmm...if that is true, I must admit that I'm surprised. After I have finished the race, I sat in the tent to keep myself warm while waiting for Bob and Hana. There were a few other participants cuddled up in that tent too. And I saw a silver trophy on one of those bags, and I remember telling myself that I should try to get one of those in the future! Perhaps my sleepy eyes were playing tricks on me - so much so that I wasn't really able to tell the difference between bronze and silver!... haha!

Nah...I prefer to earn that silver trophy, instead of just changing the plaque of a bronze one. But that's a great idea anyway!... haha!

Deo said...

Cornelius, you should check in the spam folder in your blogger dashboard.

Cornelius said...

OMG! You are right, Deo! I'm not so well versed with this computer thing, you see. But I just checked, there is indeed a spam folder on blogspot too!.. and yes, that comment went there!

Socrates29 said...

Congrats. Cornelius on another fine bronze achievement this time!
I really admire you for not only running but for the ability to take time off while doing so,to take so many scenic photos during your event.Thanks for all the nice pics.!

Cornelius said...

Thanks, Socrates29, but I have a little confession to make. Although I did spend a few moments admiring the beauty of the trail, I was too lazy to actually take out my phone to take the pictures! These were mainly taken by Dr Felice. She went through hell - throwing up at one point, and had to sleep for about an hour because of exhaustion/sleepiness; then woke up and continued with the race, losing a trekking pole in the process. She is a strong woman!