Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Vibram Hong Kong 100 Ultra Trail Race

Shortly after torturing myself in the 100km ultra trail marathon, The Most Beautiful Thing (TMBT), last November, as reported here and here, someone named Michelle Zheng Min provided a link to the Vibram Hong Kong 100 Ultra Trail Race in facebook.

The Vibram HK 100 is essentially a similar race with the TMBT, and someone actually convinced me that it would be fun to run the 100km in Hong Kong. It must have been a case of temporary insanity, but I soon found that I've signed up for the event. It was a surprisingly popular event as it was closed due to overwhelming response even before the end of the early bird registration period.

The time control for the Vibram HK 100 was 32 hours. However, the organiser added some sweeteners, i.e. those finishing within 16 hours were entitled to the gold award; within 20 hours, the silver award; and within 24 hours, the bronze award. Beyond those times, finishers were entitled to a finisher's sweater and a certificate each.

I finished the TMBT well over 33 hours, but in that event, I was basically reduced to the role of a baby-sitter. For the Vibram HK 100, I had intended to race. What's more, I had intended to bring home at least the bronze award!

My friend, Robert, was also able to secure a slot and as we got closer to the race day, he somehow convinced me that perhaps a silver award might be doable! At first I was rather doubtful. But later I allowed myself to consider that possibility for a bit. Maybe it's because of my faith in Bob; or maybe because I wanted so much to bring home the silver to protect myself from the many warewolf politicians here in Sabah, but in the end, I thought, "Why not?"

Little did I know that the race was somewhat different from the TMBT. In the case of the TMBT, we had many, many hills—rolling hills—but the route was such that the tail end of the race mainly comprised an overall descent. Whereas in Hong Kong, it's the other way round—as the race progressed, the hills got substantially higher and steeper. In fact, the highest and steepest slope was the very last one!

The other factor which almost put an end to my race was the cold temperature. It was announced that the temperature was between 12C to 15C, but with strong wind high on the mountain ridge, it felt like freezing point.

We were flagged off at about 8am on 18th February, Saturday. There were 755 participants on the organiser's list, but I suspect there must have been some who did not show up that morning. All of us had a timing chip each attached to the bib.

The first 15km or so of the race was quite pleasant. The terrain comprised mainly gentle undulating footpaths which eventually connected to an asphalt road. We arrived at a huge reservoir with stunning views, and both Bob and I went to a nearby bush to spray some fertilizers on the trees. The temperature then was quite pleasant, and I turned to Bob, jokingly saying that it would be nice to run the whole race on a flat surface like that.

Bob is basically a cyclist, not a long-distance runner. In fact, the longest official running event he had ever participated in was a half marathon. However, he did join me for a 25km long run on a recent Sunday. Because of his inexperience in long-distance, he decided to play safe by running the entire race with me. I was fairly amused to see all the hi-tech electronic gadgets he had on him. He had a Garmin on his wrist which was not even a watch. To be honest, I don't even know what that toy was for! But every now and then, Bob would consult his Garmin to keep track on our pace and distance covered.

It was basically a mild workout, and about three hours later, we arrived at CP1, where we found glorious food and drinks waiting for us. I soon realised that Bob becomes hungry extremely fast, and is a big eater for his size. One of these days, I must try to research where all those food go to after he swallows them.

Well, I indulged in a bit of fried rice and as I reached for a banana, Bob approached me, saying that there's also some egg sandwiches on a nearby table. So I took one too.

Bob seemed fully engrossed in all the food, grabbing this and that...

And at one point seemed to be having a hard time deciding what else to eat.

But soon after that we had to shake ourselves out of it to continue with the race. I went ahead, and Bob followed close behind. For races of this nature, it's always a good idea to run in pairs, just in case of emergency. Besides, it could have been useful to have someone looking like Captain Jack Sparrow as my bodyguard, if there are robbers trying to make their moves. But actually, all the volunteers at all the CPs that day were awesome—they were polite and so eager to help the participants in whatever way they can.

We continued our journey like that throughout the day—plenty of smiles—still not knowing the kind of temperature waiting for us during the night.

Up ahead, our friend, Jonas, had already gone so far ahead that we did not have any chance to meet him throughout the race. First thing that morning, he merely said to us "not to suck on his nipples", and then he was gone in the crowd with his friend, Paul.

Bob and I stuck to our racing strategy by combining intervals of running and brisk-walking. But Bob, perhaps because of his years of experience as a cyclist, had stronger quads—a valuable asset when climbing hills. Besides, he backed that up with a pair of trekking poles.

I couldn't help but smile to myself looking at him with the trekking poles from behind, as it sort of reminded me of the movie, E.T. And in my mind, I saw E.T saying "ET phone hooooome..."

But flat surfaces and going downhill were not his strong points. So he'd struggle to keep up with my brisk-walking. He had to jog to keep up with my walk.

We reached CP5 (52km) just shortly after getting dark. I went to the toilet and had to squat down. When I was done with my business about 5 minutes later, I had to muster all my courage and energy to hold on to the railing on the wall to pull myself up again. A quick cup noodle and some cakes, and we were ready to embark on the second half on the race. From that point on, it began to dawn on me that it was a big mistake not to bring along gloves for this race. As we walked into the night up a neat asphalt road in the park, I began to feel the cold. And the cold became increasingly something I couldn't cope with.

CP6 proved to be quite a challenge, as it was located perhaps 15km or 16km away. The hills in the second half of the race were also getting more, and higher, and steeper. But we found ourselves at CP6 after more than 2 hours later. We stopped to replenish our bottles, and grabbed some peanutbutter sandwiches. I had another cup noodle. Seeing me eat, Bob had one too.

Shortly after we left CP6, Bob complained feeling a bit dizzy and wanting to vomit. Good thing he did not keep that to himself. I told him that that's an early symptom of dehydration and told him to have a few sips every few minutes. That helped to solve the problem.

Well, we continued all the way to CP7 through more hills—ridiculous hills—and was pleasantly surprised to find a fire going. We sat around the fire with some other participants and soon found it hard to drag ourselves to start running again. But in the end, we headed out from CP7 downhill for the most part. I decided to gain a bit of time with my brisk-walking routine. Bob was struggling to keep up in the dark of the night. We were passing an area with lots of monkeys, and I think Bob heard a sound in the nearby bush. He turned to look, but when he turned back, it was too late to avoid walking into a tree, resulting in a small cut on his knee.

As the night wore away, we found ourselves approaching CP8, feeling exhausted, sleepy and shivering uncontrollably from the cold. There were paramedics there, and we took the opportunity to sneak into a tent in our attempt to warm our bodies. A volunteer came with a warm cup of coffee, and my hands were pathetically shaking that I had trouble trying to hold the cup steady.

It was then that I seriously considered surrendering from the race. Then a lady volunteer walked into the tent, and perhaps because she saw my handsome bodyguard, Bob a.ka. Jack Sparrow, gave me her gloves! That inspired me to push on. By then, it was clear that the dream of the silver award was already gone. But we had about 3.5 hours to cover 17km for the bronze. I turned to Bob, saying that if we're gonna make it, it would be very close.

In the wee hours of the morning, in what appeared to be freezing temperature, we embarked on our epic final leg of the race through the most punishing hills. The journey to CP9 was just 7km but it took about 2 hours to get there. The remaining 10km had the tallest and steepest slope up to the highest point in the whole of Hong Kong. It was clear then that even the bronze was out of the question.

I had to reluctantly accept that I have failed to achieve even the bronze. And then suddenly I felt a big relief. With about 22.5 hours on my watch, I left CP9, taking my sweet time walking up the hill. Bob caught up with me several minutes later.

We walked and walked, and as the day became brighter again, the temperature started building up, and we no longer felt like dying in the cold. When we crossed the finish line 25 hours 41 minutes since the start horn, we were ecstatic.

I think the Vibram HK 100 is very much better organised than the TMBT. The volunteers knew exactly how far between CPs, unlike the TMBT staff who deliberately made fun of participants by telling them false information about distances. All the CPs had plenty of food and isotonic drinks, and participants can be assured that they won't go hungry.

TMBT is more technical in nature when compared to the Vibram HK 100. It had river crossing, hanging bridges almost virgin forest to go through. These were not in the Hong Kong race. Instead, the hills were much more punishing in Hong Kong. So I guess it's a matter of personal tastes. But for me, I find the Hong Kong race more challenging, because I simply can't stand the cold.

Would I do it again? You bet! I will be back to bring home at least the bronze award next year!


RaYzeef said...

Congrats on another 100km completed in the cold weather, hey i got the same Adidas Trails Shoes as you :)

Cornelius said...

Thank you, Rayzeef. Were you also there? If not, then you have missed a great race. You must make it a point to be there next year! I will!

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the volunteers were very helpful... always eager and friendly. I thought the configuration of the race route was somewhat cruel! (smile) The hills were getting increasingly tougher as the race progressed. But I just loved the challenge, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Oh! those were new shoes - I bought them just a few days before the race. Not exactly a good idea to wear something new for a race of this nature, but, y'know, procrastination is a terrible disease! But that's a different story! hehe

Anonymous said...


Top drawer stuff.

You are a inspiration!



Anonymous said...

I must invite you out for a cup of tea soon so that your enthusiasm will rub off me and listen to your war stories.

Brendon Peter Lim

Cornelius said...

Why, thank you, Brendon! If I can inspire others to do this sort of things, then I have done my small part to promote healthy lifestyle.

Ummm... but then again, come to think of it, this lately I'm no longer sure which is more, healthy or insanity.

Socrates29 said...

Congrats Cornelius again on another great and interesting writeup on your latest achievement!

My only concern is,after reading about the running and then stopping to eat some grub and then start running again.
Isn't this a sure way to have appendicitis?
Just my concern!

Anonymous said...


When can i ask you out for a date then? LOL......

A cup of coffee/tea so that I can learn from your experience.

I don't have your mobile or email address.

Look forward to hear from you.

Thanks again


Cornelius said...


No problem, we could do minum kopi, but it has to wait. I'm presently rushing to prepare for a treasure hunt next Sunday, you see. I'm organising a hunt, and thought that I had plenty of time. But I kept things to the last minute, and now am paying for it! Procrastination is a terrible disease!

By the way, my email:

Cornelius said...

Thanks, Socrates29.

I'm not sure about "a sure way to have appendicitis". But admittedly I've only joined TWO ultra trail races of this nature so far, and I'm unaware of any cases of appendicitis in both events.

I think the claim that aggressive movements immediately after a meal can cause appendicitis came from many parents who tried to scare their hyperactive kids to sit still after a meal. The location of the appendix is quite far from the stomach; and food would usually take quite many hours to go through the stomach and the intestines before finally reaching the appendix. So I'm not sure about the direct connection between aggressive physical activities immediately after a meal and appendicitis. If they are doctors among my readers, I'd be pleased if you could help us out a bit here?

On the other hand, Socrates29, even if running after a meal can indeed lead to appendicitis, that is not really a big problem in my case, simply because I just don't have the energy to run after a meal! For the most part, I'd probably take several minutes to get my engine going again after a long break at the checkpoints. Unlike the marathons where I run (and keep running) for perhaps 95% of the time, I brisk-walk and jog for the most part of an ultra trail race. And when climbing hills, I can go down to a snail pace! I would love to be able to run like the Nepalese to finish the race in about 10 hours, but I just don't have it in me to do that!

Socrates29 said...

You mentioned somewhere here that you are occupied with setting a treasure hunt.
Would it be the annual MPKK City Day's Hunt 2013?

Cornelius said...


No, I'm afraid it's not the KK City Tourism Hunt. The truth is that the City Hunt which should have been held on last Sunday, has been postponed to June 10th. That new date, however, at least as far as I am concerned, is not confirmed yet, even though DBKK seems quite certain.

Because of the postponement of the City Hunt, some of my hunter friends have asked me to organise a hunt to fill up the big gap up to June. And so, despite my rather tight schedule, I'm doing this mainly for my friends.

I'd like to add that Master Hunter Alvin Wong and his gang may also want to do another hunt between now and June under their Tembak Series, but he has not given me a date.

Anonymous said...


Email sent.

Cheers then.


Cornelius said...

Yup, Brendon, received your email. Will find a suitable time for yam cha.

Mervin said...

Dear Cornelius,

You should have 5 points for UTMB, 2 from Sabah, 3 from HK, is Ultra Trail Du Mont Blanc in your sight?

Do you know of any Malaysians who has reached UTMB yet?


Cornelius said...

Hi Mervin,

Unfortunately, no, I joined the TMBT because some friends tempted me to try something different from the usual 42km marathon. And then after the TMBT, I was again tempted by the Vibram HK, having read the account of the race in someone's blog. I did not do it for collecting points; neither am I aware of the UTMB thingy. But now that you brought it up, my curiosity has been roused! I will search the net to find out what is it all about.

Mervin said...

Hi Cornelius,

Will check back on your blog from time to time to see if you going to attempt UTMB. I am going for my first TMBT this Sept.

Wishing you all the best, happy running.

Cornelius said...

Yes, Mervin, I'm seeing your name on the racers' list. So looks like we will be seeing each other on Sept 15!

But actually, apart from the TMBT this September, and a second attempt in the Vibram HK 100km next year, I'm not very sure if I would attempt other similar events. I'm not exactly ruling them out yet, but right now if I had a choice, I'd like to attempt at least the Olympic Distance triathlon. I don't think it's an extremely tough challenge if it's a matter of just to finish, but I want to just complete my collection, that's all.

Mervin said...

Hi Cornelius,

Good luck on trying out Tri. I cant swim, so I wont be trying Tri anytime soon.

By this Sept you would have qualified for Mont Blanc. Anyways, see you out there in Sept.

Happy Running.