Monday, January 5, 2009

KK City Tourism Treasure Hunt 2009—Preliminary Information

I have been asked about the status of the KK City Tourism Treasure Hunt 2009 by some friends, especially those from West Malaysia. So this afternoon I decided to make a visit to my cousin-in-law's office in the Municipal Hall to get more information. She's Fauziahton Ag. Samad, the Co-ordinator of the hunt.

Well, the hunt is confirmed on Sunday, 22 February 2009. However, as of this afternoon, they have not decided on who's going to clerk the hunt. She said they have short-listed several West Malaysian Clerks-of-Course, but without revealing any names. However, apparently they still favour the Time Out Solutions (TOS), because "it is easier to runding the terms of engagement with them". I think many hunters favour TOS too.

Interestingly, there will invite some media celebrities—whatever that means—but if I understood correctly, the folks from the NST and Astro will send teams this time. A new sponsor—which I am not at the liberty to reveal at this time—has also more or less been confirmed, thus indicating richer prizes, although I have a feeling that most of them will be in terms of merchandise rather than cash. As usual, the number of teams will be limited to 120 only, and I am convinced that that figure is quite easily achieveable, considering how desperate we KK hunters are for treasure hunts! There will be only ONE category, i.e. open to all. I suppose that means those media folks will also hunt in the open category.

We also discussed briefly about the format of the hunt. I was trying to influence Fauziahton to at least reduce the games. In previous years, the KK City hunts have always been leaning towards the "Amazing Race" format where the score for the hunt questions and treasures did not even come up to 50% of the total score. However, Fauziahton said they're going to maintain such format because (i) to promote tourism; and (ii) to give a chance to the new hunters to beat the regular hunters. What can I say, this is after all the "Boleh Land". So what could potentially happen is that one will have to work extremely hard to solve 3 route questions, yet a single roll of the coconut can easily win in terms of score.

As in the previous years, the hunt will start and end at the Nexus Karambunai Resort Hotel. Many people have asked if it's possible to choose another venue which is closer to the city centre. It is indeed strange that teams are flagged off so far out of the city, and then come all the way to the city, just to make all the way back to Nexus again. However, Fauziahton said that they found the Nexus is the best venue because (i) Nexus Karambunai is the official resort for this hunt; and (ii) they have enough space for the cars to line up; and (iii) their banquet hall is large enough to accommodate 500 people. So those of you who've been bugging me with this question, now you have your answer!

Incidentally, we also talked a bit about the Sutera Harbour-Angkatan Hebat Hunt which I clerked in 2007. That was a pure hunt where I did not include even a single game. According to Fauziahton, some of the regular hunters from the Municipal Hall joined that hunt too, and interestingly their comment was that that hunt sucked! I guess they didn't win anything (smile). I remember shortly after the Sutera, I received quite a fair bit of compliments from most of the regular hunters I knew; even from 2 KL teams which took the big risk to come all the way to KK to join this first-timer CoC's hunt. But I suppose I can't expect to please everyone.

I will make further announcement when I get more information. See you on 22 February 2009!

10 comments:

Claire said...

Looks like I won't be rolling coconuts with you for this hunt. Hahahahaha!!! I'm waiting for your next hunt in KK. :)

Cornelius said...

Good idea, Claire. Trust me, the KK City Hunt is not your cup of tea. Even if you can solve all the questions and submit all the treasures, you can still lose very easily!

But on the other hand, don't hope for very tough hunts from me either. I won't be giving questions as what you see in this blog. Well, OK, perhaps only a few to separate the grown-ups from the boys. However, you can be assured that those few tough ones will be quite good enough to raise the blood pressure!... hehehe

Cornelius said...

Listen up, folks!

Two days ago, I received a call from those hard-working people at the City Hall. The entry form for the City Tourism Hunt 2009 is now ready. Some of the more important details as follows:

*Entry fee: RM250.00 per team
*Goodies VALUED at RM150 for each participant (but I have a feeling they meant to say for each team)
*New sponsor: adidas

*Prizes:
1st: RM5,000 + Goods & Cert
2nd: RM3,000 + Goods & Cert
3rd: RM2,000 + Goods & Cert
4th-6th: RM500 + Goods & Cert
7th-10th: RM200 + Goods & Cert
11th-20th: Goods & Cert

The big fat question mark:

The CoC has not been decided up to now! Decision should be finalised by next week. So whoever is chosen it will be quite a rush job. Hopefully it won't affect the quality of the hunt. Keeping fingers crossed.

Anonymous said...

Besides Aididas, who are the main sponsors ? MAS & Celcom ? If Celcom is a sponsor, better start practising speed SMS lor...

Cornelius said...

Yes, of course MAS and CELCOM are the other sponsors. I think all the serious hunters must have practised speed SMS by now. But to be quite honest, I doubt that they will give that challenge this year. I have a feeling many people are prepared.

On the other hand, if TOS is not the CoC this time round, then I can say it's almost certain that the speed SMS will be on.

Cornelius said...

Latest info, folks!

Have just spoken to Fauziahton of City Hall.

1) Time Out Solutions will be clerking the KK City Hunt again this year; and

2) There's no mistake on the Entry Form regarding the goodies. EACH PARTICIPANT shall get goodies worth RM150. She said the T-shirt alone is worth >RM70/piece. Can imagine that must be from adidas. Hope it's not the skin-tight sportswear - I don't like the idea of my big flabby breasts and nipples sticking out... hehehe. Yes folks, the excess calories can end up on the chest too.

JULIUS said...

Can we download the form DBKK website then like previous year
(I haven't open DBKK website yet)?

Cornelius said...

Hi Julius,

I've just checked the DBKK's website shortly ago, but unfortunately, I can't find any downloadable entry form there. I have always gone to their office to collect the forms myself since it's just about 10 minutes' walk from my office.

I see you've joined past KK City Hunts, so you should know about the games and challenges.

I was given to understand that Kiwanis might be doing a hunt in KK this year, but I don't know if that's true. I will call Leonard Chau soon to find out more.

Main Tembak, the strongest local team might be organising an unofficial hunt some time in June; and of course I will be doing at least my KK Challenge 5 (also unofficial) around July or August.

By the way, Julius, when I set the Sutera-Angkatan Hebat Hunt, the KL Champion got almost full score. So if you thought that was the most difficult hunt, then you should have a rough idea of how much lower is our standard when compared to them in the west. If I do another official hunt again, I will surely let you know.

Cornelius said...

My sincere apology, Julius. A friend has since written to me, informing me that the entry form for this hunt is actually available from the DBKK website. You can download it from here. Wish you all the best on 22 February!

Scho said...

Hi ! I am just browsing around when I read your article on Nexus Karambunai and thus my presence here.