Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Dubious Question

A friend shared what appears to be a page taken from an English test paper (see attached picture). The instruction at the top of the page says: "Choose the best answer to complete the sentences."

The first 2 questions had something to do with English. Question 1 uses the word "She", so the correct answer was indeed A, i.e. aunt, because the rest of the answers are all referring to men. Question 2 uses the word "teaches" in it, so that indicates her profession as a teacher. 

Question 3 is a little more complicated and I was informed by my friend that it caused quite an uproar. Today, I'm seeing some of my facebook friends sharing this exact picture and it has garnered over 2000 comments, mainly about Question 3. I notice that some people agree with "chicken rice", but the vast majority of the commenters are of the view that the other choices are also equally acceptable.

I decided to weigh in on the subject, but I prefer to do it here instead of my facebook page.

To start with, I'm not surprised at Question 3. It's the kind of question that reflects our education system as a whole, where kids are told to accept something as "the truth", for no other reason other than because it is the norm; or because it is deemed to be a healthier choice. This type of question does not take into account that some people do not eat rice for lunch like me. As a matter of fact, these days I hardly ever eat rice for dinner too. It does not take into account that it is entirely possible that some people usually eat fried noodles, for example, for lunch, instead of chicken rice. In other words, what's really happening here is that if some of the kids sitting for this test are among those who usually eat fried noodles for lunch, they are expected to lie and say that they usually eat chicken rice even though they know very well that that is not the truth. They are expected to say something that is not the truth for the sake of passing the test, because apparently that is the best answer according to their teacher. 

Perhaps if Question 3 were set slightly differently - say instead of "I", the word "Malaysians" is used, then maybe it is much more acceptable if the teacher says that the "best" answer is chicken rice, because I suppose the majority of Malaysians eat rice for lunch, though even that is still debatable. I personally feel like that there are many, many Malaysians who don't eat rice for lunch. Otherwise, food outlets such as McDonald's, KFC, Burger King, Pizza Hut and the likes would have closed down long ago. Somehow I have the impression that all these fastfood outlets are equally busy during lunch, if not busier than the chicken rice shops.

I also don't like Question 3 because although the question itself is in English, to me it has nothing to do with English. It is not a test on grammar or vocabulary. An English test should test the kids' proficiency in the language. It doesn't have to be on grammar or vocabulary specifically, but it should be something to do with the mastery of the language, instead of testing the general knowledge on the eating habit.

Question 3 is a dubious one to me, and after reading it several times, I'm beginning to suspect that this was not taken from an actual English test; that it may in fact be a hoax of some sort to cause an uproar? I'm hoping that someone will reveal that it is indeed a hoax somehow.


No comments: