Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Hot Chicks

A little over a week ago, on a Sunday, I received a text message from my brother, Harry. He went running at Tun Fuad Park in Bukit Padang that morning as part of his training programme to prepare for the half marathon he has signed up for in the Borneo International Marathon in May. But after that long run, he noticed that he had blood in his urine. Worried, he sought my opinion.

I'm not a doctor, but things such as these interest me, and I read quite a lot about them. I don't know very much, but of course there are many causes for blood in the urine. I told him some of the possible causes; but in the end I advised him the best thing to do was to quickly see a doctor.

A few hours later, I received a report from him. He had by then seen a GP who tested his urine. Although not visibly seen by the naked eye, traces of blood was still present in his urine. The doctor prescribed some antibiotics and told Harry to refrain from running for at least 3 days. He was allowed to eat beef, lamb and even pork; but not chicken! I can appreciate that, apparently, the doctor deduced that exercised-induced hematuria was the cause of the problem, but the advice seemed like godsend—don't do exercise, don't eat lean mean (chicken), but can eat beef and pork.

What's the story with the chicken?

I couldn't resist asking Harry if he had heard the instruction wrongly. I wondered if the doctor said "Don't eat chicken", or "Don't play [with] chicken". If it were the latter, maybe I can think of a link to the problem. In the end, according to Harry, the doctor suggested that "chicken is heaty" and may worsen the problem. So that's something new I've learnt. I wonder, however, if there is any scientific evidence that would support such a claim.

But on the other hand, the Chinese athletes are rearing their own chickens in the hope of preventing banned substance from entering their systems, which might in turn lead to their disqualification in the coming Olympic Games.

I'm going to Brunei this weekend for a half marathon race; so I will try to refrain from eating chicken over the next few days, just in case my body gets too over-heated somehow. After all, the race starts at 6am and I'm expecting to take two hours to finish. It will be quite hot by 8am. Let's see if I can perform any better without chicken meat. I will report again after the race. Stay tuned.


5 comments:

Anee Jamal said...

I've been coughing like mad for pass one month until I seek help with this Chinese Doctor,guess what,she too advice not to take chicken,egg,@anything with it.
So,I followed her advice, for the next one month,it worked. in less than 3days,cough subsided slowly and gone and body feel much more lighter,I don't know, maybe also bcos of her prescribed medicine,
But due to hot weather these days,i started to catch cough and flu again and went to see her.same advice.No chicken,No Egg, No beef,No Fry Food,No Spicy Food.Huargh!

Unknown said...

Hi,

I'm joining half-marathon in PJ Dawn Run early this May, and I'm thinking of getting a hydration belt. Do you have any recommendation on where to get a reasonably priced one around KK? Thank you.

Cornelius said...

Thanks, Anee, for sharing. I suppose if it works, it works. But it's interesting if any formal studies have been conducted on this. Probably the Chinese must have done some... though I'm not sure if they are reliable?

Cornelius said...

Juin Yi Ng,

Well, I wouldn't use the word "recommendation"; but I know where you can find hydration belts here in KK. On the first floor of City Mall, there is a shop selling sports merchandises. I know they're selling the Salomon hydration belt there. But it's not cheap. If not mistaken, maybe RM200+ a piece. My friend Teo Chen Lung is more knowledgeable on things like this, as he almost always buys branded goods.

I bought mine at the OUTDOOR SHOP in Wawasan. But you can also get them at the OUTDOOR SHOP at the basement level of the Suria Mall in KK. Maybe it's also available at Tech City (Jesselton Point).

I wish to add, however, that I never race with hydration belt on. I use my hydration belt only when I train; specifically on Sunday long runs on the highway. When I run races, I rely totally on the water stations provided by the organisers.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the advice! Really appreciate it!