Monday, July 31, 2023

Stepping Out of the Door

My daughter, JJ, turned 21 a few weeks ago. She will be embarking on the final semester of her IT degree in Melbourne soon. I'm not sure how exactly the education system is these days, but if I understood her correctly, most of the written exams are already over by now. The final semester will mainly comprise continuation of assignments or projects and perhaps some sort of internship. Once that is over, she will get her degree. To me, that sounds a lot like her degree is almost a certainty at this stage.

How time flies, and it feels like it was just a few years ago when I was taking turns with he mommy to bathe her, and waking up in the middle of the night to prepare her formula and feed her. My relationship with JJ is so very different with the relationship that I had with my own father. And from the time when JJ was still quite young, my conversations with her were also far different from the kind of conversations that I used to have with my father. I've shared one of those conversations in this blog here.

Well, JJ has been edging closer and closer to the front door, and has now arrived at the threshold, just about to step out into the world. And this daddy is suddenly feeling a little emotional. She has so much to experience out there. I hope mom and dad have instilled in her all the good qualities to be a good and respectable person. Hopefully she can contribute in her small ways to make the world a better place for everybody.

I have no idea where JJ is heading to once she steps out of the front door. There will be a whole world to explore and many adventures awaiting her. But mom and dad will always be watching from afar. We will be watching with pride and hope, but at the same time feeling excited for her. 

Go, JJ, go!



No comments: